Thal Minor and Salmonella

• 0 Replies

Offline hellokelli

Thal Minor and Salmonella
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
Hello,

My daughter and I both have beta thalassemia minor.  Since I've known since I was a kid that I was thal minor, it hasn't been too much of a big deal for my daughter since we already knew to look for it.  But she has had a constant battle with stomach problems her whole life (she's only 4 now).  She has had Salmonella infections in her blood stream three times now and then also C.Diff after all the antibiotics used on the Salmonella. Our Doctor says that Salmonella crosses from the intestines to blood easier in thal patients.   So I was wondering if anyone had any experience like this?  Or heard of this?

I'm also wondering if it's just Salmonella, or any type of stomach bacteria that could cross into the blood stream easily.  We recently had a bout of Listeria and it was brutal!  My daughter looks like she has the symptoms of the listeria (or maybe salmonella) again, so I am worried.

Also - her pediatrician told us she didn't need a hematologist.  I was just wondering how many thal minors out there see a hematologist?? 

Thanks,
Kelli

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk