Transfusion reaction hives

• 4 Replies

Offline zahra

Transfusion reaction hives
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
Hi ,
My son had what the doctor called a delayed transfusion reaction. It involved itchiness, redness and hives. They gave him antihistamine and hydrocortisone injections plus extra IV fluids and kept him for observation after which he was fine.
Two doctors said its ok to send him to school .
What  does this reaction mean for future transfusion s? What can be done to avoid this happening again.
Zahra

Re: Transfusion reaction hives
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
He may be given antihistamine in future before transfusion (just in case). My daughter had reaction once and since then they give her one dose before transfusion.
Regards.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »
same as Canadian_family. My daughter had Tx reaction on her 2nd transfusion and after that she gets a dose of antihistamine before Tx....every time. This may also be a good idea for your son Zahra.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline zahra

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »
Thank you Canadian_Family and Bostonian_04. Your replies have brought me great relief. My son does get prophylactic antihistamine and paracetamol before most transfusiond anyway. This time ( and a few others) he didn't.  If that is enough to keep it from recurring I can relax. I was thinking he had some new antibody issues.
Zahra

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »
we give her the antihystamine and Vit D (i think it is superdose). The vitD is helpful as it is one less thing to remember every day .
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk