Eggs bad for thalassemics?

• 7 Replies
Eggs bad for thalassemics?
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
So recently, after reading that eggs are pretty much harmless to your body, I started eating more eggs than before. I asked my doctor about it today and he said that they were high in cholesterol and in the long term they are bad for thalassemics because they will damage your liver and you should stick to 5 eggs a week. I have read at least a dozen articles about cholesterol in eggs being a myth and that dietary cholesterol is different than blood cholesterol and I haven't found a single article anywhere that says that they are especially bad for thalassemia patients.
What do you guys think? Should I take my doctor's advice and stick to 5 a week or is he wrong?

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
Re: Eggs bad for thalassemics?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 04:28:51 PM »
LOL :rotfl Comon Buddy , 5! Eggs a week. I mean Good or Bad is'nt it enough?! You will get Sick of it before it could make you Sick. :biggrin
Well I dont know that much about eggs but I can tell you My Philosophy: Theres got to be more to Life than only therapy! Me, I Love red wine, once in a while a Fat Havanna and a T-Bone Steak.
So, dont neglect your therapy but dont forget to enjoy...
Take care.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
Your doctor needs to update his knowledge. It's been disproved that eggs lead to high cholesterol.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
Thank you, Andy. Should I worry about protein intake? I was considering buying whey protein and taking one scoop a day to gain some muscle mass because I feel like I'm not eating enough. When school starts I will be making smoothies in the morning to keep me full until it's time to eat. I've read a lot about it and everywhere it says it's harmless because it's essential for the body, but I was wondering if protein might damage my liver, especially because of having high ferritin levels (~2500 last time). We're not talking about exceeding my daily amount of protein, just hitting my goals.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:48:42 AM »
Zelebrokoli,

If you are using a good brand of protein such as Greens+ by General Mills or a formula by progressive then it is a great idea.

Thalassemia can cause a deficiency in essential amino acids which are all present in the above named protein powders.   Andy had recently posted regarding thalassemia and amino acid deficiency - I will link the post once I find it.

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
When I used to work out, I used to take 50-75 g of Whey Protein daily too. But since mid last year, I left Gym. Although I have started to exercise at home recently and feeling much better. Thals (majors especially like me) do need exercise and body movement - even if its light. It definitely helps.

I take 25 g on the days when I workout. My ALT/AST and kidney functions were fine too when I used to take it. Just monitor creatine and ALT/AST and drink LOTS OF water when taking anything like protein, especially Whey.

Oh and I used to use Dymatize brand (since I am diabetic and they use sucralose). But I have also recently discovered Phase 8 by Muscletech which also is sugar free (0 sugars, uses substance like sucralose). Most importantly, both these brands (for Whey at least) have ZERO IRON (which is very important factor too, to look for in nutritional info section) so make sure any brand you go with, there is almost no to less iron.

Hope that helps. :)

Best,

P
Every child is special.

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
Zelebrokoli,
You should take a Look on this: www.weider-Germany.de
Its a very Good German Brand especialy for Body-Building and I think Since you are in Europa it would be a Little cheaper than to order from USA or elsewhere.
For example, Crash Weight Gain Formula 1,5kg for 38€. Good luck.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
zelebrokoli,

The protein won't harm your liver. As Pratik mentioned, drink LOTS of water to flush the kidneys.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk