Want some advise.

• 7 Replies

Offline Harshul

Want some advise.
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
Hello guys, I am 17 year old major thalassemiac  guy from India. I want to whether I can do workout or not.
My parents are afraid that doing exercise will consume my blood a lot. Is it true? Replies please.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Want some advise.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:43:27 AM »
Harshul,

Exercise is very important for building bone strength, healthy muscle, good circulation and heart health.  It is a good idea to consult with your doctor before beginning an exercise program and to begin slowly if you are not exercising already.

Most thalassemia patients in North America are quite active.  My 16 year old son has thalassemia major, he has played ice hockey, basketball, soccer and many other sports.  He is on quite an intense conditioning and exercise program as an avid golfer as well.   

Yoga is a very good place to begin - you can build from there. 

Ensure that your bones and heart a strong enough before beginning any intense program - please see your doctor about those concerns.   Ensure that your hemoglobin is not below 95 at any time, ensure that your spleen is not enlarged (keeping good hemoglobin levels will help keep your spleen a normal size) and keep your iron levels low.

Best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Parin

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:10:56 AM »
Thanks Sarmin for sharing information it not just helpful for Harshul but also others.

Offline Harshul

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
Thanks Sharmin, I will definitely consult my doctor.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
This question is asked both here and on our Facebook groups regularly. Working out helps to optimize circulation and flow of oxygen throughout the body and should be encouraged. You would be amazed at the workout regimens of some thals.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Sharmin,
can't believe your son is already 16. Good luck to all his endeavors.

Harshul, as Sharmin mentioned , with doctor's advise, you should be able to do any and all exercise. If you have not done any before, then do start slow to build your strength. exercise will keep you healthy and happy. My 8 yr old thal major daughter is part of a swim team in the summer and also does ice skating and now slowly getting into running 5K. So, with proper thal care,you can do anything you wish to. Good luck!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
I am currently doing my bodyweight routine as I type this. I would encourage everyone, even those who don't have the disease, to be more active. I have been doing this for about 4 months and I feel great. You could start with the most basic things like pull ups, push ups or signing up for a sport and see how it goes for you, because everyone's body is different. I am not sure if thalassemia can hinder muscle growth, but I have definitely gained strength over the course of the past few months and it's become a hobby of mine. I am currently eating at a surplus to gain muscle mass (I eat very clean for most of the time) and I have big goals for this year. I only currently do bodyweight fitness, but I also plan on either getting a gym membership or picking up something like swimming or volleyball when I turn 18. Until then, I am sure I will have gained a lot of strength and a good amount of muscle mass. The only issue I find is that when it's almost time for a blood transfusion and my hemoglobin gets low, it's a little bit harder to complete my routine and it sometimes takes a little bit more time for my body to fully recover, but once I go for a blood transfusion, I feel like I can lift a mountain. I'd definitely say you should give what you're interested in a try and see how it works for you. Keep us updated and don't be afraid to begin a new adventure in your life!

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
i am a thal major and i do light wieght baring exercise and some basic exrcises sugested by a phsyio.  i feel fit & strong when i do exercise... :) ...
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk