Chronic Depression linked to Thalassemia?

• 20 Replies

Offline Zadkhi

• Hemoglobin H Disease
  • creativity is my lifeblood
Chronic Depression linked to Thalassemia?
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:34:08 AM »
I've always been something of a not-so-happy-and-energetic person as a child, but 4 years ago (I'm 24 now), the depression that I had thought was just temporary or even just teenage angst from the last few years before became full-blown.

I've struggled with severe chronic depression for the last 4 years and where certain treatments do help mitigate the condition, it's still ever-present and cycling around.

Because of the thalassemia (I have Hemoglobin H), my psychiatrist recommended me speak to my hematologist about treating my depression before he and I decided on a treatment method.

My hematologist told me that depression is not unusual amongst thalassemia patients as it is not unusual amongst any patients dealing with a chronic health condition because of the naturally more fatigued or depressed state of their bodies.  And where my thalassemia didn't/doesn't necessarily 'create' the depression so to speak or really give me too many reasons to BE depressed, the chronic fatigue could certainly contribute, which I do find to be true.

So my question is this:

Do any of you also deal with depression and if you do, what is it like?

I know that it's a deeply personal question to ask, but I'd sincerely appreciate any and all input on this subject because I'm trying to find a treatment avenue that will work for me and I have no idea - and my doctors don't either! - if I need to treat from the psychological perspective or from the thalassemic perspective or jointly or what.

Please help!

~ Z
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:13:40 PM by Zadkhi »

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Chronic Depression linked to Thalassemia?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:54:53 AM »
Hi Z,

I know it is hard but we all can fight it! Instead of thinking bad about some situation, think about it in a positive manner at once and you will realize that you are better off than many other unfortunate ones.

My motto has always been "Be positive" (:huh Well that's because my blood group is also B+).

Anyway take the bad things of life lightly, cheer up, make friends, crack a joke with them and try to enjoy even the little things in life. Even being religious does the trick.

I've been through a lot in my life, not just medically, but I also faced many social and personal setbacks; but in the end I just say "Let bygones be bygones" and look forward for the future.

I hope that you have a positive outlook on life from now on.  Remember we are better off than many other unfortunate ones who have to cope with a lot than what we have to suffer!!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zadkhi

• Hemoglobin H Disease
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:12:28 PM »
Hehehehe!

B+!  :rotfl

I'm AB+, so I couldn't crack that joke the same way, but that sure made me grin - thanks!  :D

As for the rest of the post...

I definitely agree with what you said and in terms of my thalassemia at least, it's given me the least of my depressive problems.  My thalassemia isn't what depresses me (ie:  I'm not constantly thinking about the bad things related to thalassemia and I definitely consider myself quite fortunate!); really, I'm not sure WHAT is causing the depression because the depression is more like one enormous blanket of UGH weighing me down that has no cause and no beginning and no end.

I'll be feeling fine one day and the next day, I'm down and falling and there was no probable cause.  I wasn't thinking of anything negative and I didn't get any bad news and yet I'm seriously depressed for some rather unknown reason.  Granted, the depression became particularly noticeable after I had a -really- rough spot a few years ago, but it's been years, right?

My doctors think that maybe it's my persistent anemia state making my overall body fatigued and 'depressed' and therefore it's affecting my moods as a result?  ???

Again, I have no ideas and am thus interested if maybe there IS a link between persistent anemia states and depressed feelings.

If psychotherapy and drugs and meditation and other treatment measures aren't working, I might end up looking into transfusion therapy if indeed it would seem that my anemia is what's provoking and fueling the depression.

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!  :D

I'm still laughing over the B+ comment and will have to pass it on to my family and friends!

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 02:32:08 PM »
There you go girl!

You're on the track! Smile big time and spread smiles where ever you go!

Keep you HB in check (try to maintain it above 10) and everything will be just fine!

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zadkhi

• Hemoglobin H Disease
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:31:07 PM »
^__________^

Thanks again for the kind words!

And my sister thought your joke was quite funny as she's a B+, too.  :lol:

Kathy11

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 02:35:23 AM »
HI Everyone.
I am 52yrs old and lived a full life untill few past years that i have been riddle with all kind of health problems.I have a reasonable good life and  I do not lack for material things.I consider myself to be strong with a good sense of responsibility.I've raised fours sons succesfully and they are good citizen of our society.
I've had responsible posts and still is doing reasonably well in a tutoring positions as a volunteer.
Having said that, life with the blood disorder has not been easy and its getting worst.
I have suffered from depression all my adult life.And I believe it is from   the blood disorders It seems to be in cycle,It seems to happened when i'm in a stressfull situation and it has become worst as i have reached meno pause.

I have refused to take any anti depressant or any other neurolectic drugs because I feel it would not make any differences.
Yes I know now they are talking about cognitive behavioural therapy and it theraputics value.
Although ,despite of every effort one is left still with the deffective genes and the cycle continues.
It is true that we can learn to alter our behaviour to a positive manner that is to have a more positive outlook ,which is very hard when one is in pain all the time.
None the less this still leaves me with more questions than answers.I wish I knew what is wrong with me and i wish i had peace of mind.
Kathy.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 07:31:36 AM »
Hi Kathy!

You need to take your mind off the things that are wrong with you. That's the doctors' headache, you don't need to worry about it and don't let it interfere with your life.

Spend good time with your kids, try relaxing using meditation or your religious practises. If you are an extrovert then make friends and have a chat with them every now and then.

Life's too good to be ruined by feeling depressed and being pessimistic all the time.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Kathy11

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »
Sajid you are right and thank-you.
 :whistle :whistle :whistle :whistle :friday :friday :friday :friday :friday :friday :friday :martini :martini :martini :martini :martini :martini :martini :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :lalala :food :food :food :food :food :food :food
thanks mate.

Offline Ida-Maria

• thal major patient
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 06:32:23 PM »
I'm struggling with depression as well - but the funny thing is my sister has never had bad depression - low periods yes.. but I guess that just depends on her personality.

Offline jzd24

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 01:34:43 AM »
Hi Ida-Maria,
    While I feel that having a low hemoglobin can cause depression, I also feel that some people are more genetically predisposed to having depression. My mother had really bad depression (she didn't have thal), which overcame her at times, seemingly for no apparent reason.  It seemed to be just a chemical thing. I know I get more easily depressed when my hemoglobin is low, then I feel better when it goes back up after a transfusion.
     I feel for you because I know how my mother struggled with depression. It is miserable. You feel like nothing is good in life, and that there is nothing to live for. Add to that the daily struggle with thal, and whamo! It is difficult to deal with all that. Just know that we all care on this site, and we will do all we can to support you.   Jean   :bighug

Offline Nur

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 03:44:20 PM »
Hi Ida-Maria,
    While I feel that having a low hemoglobin can cause depression, I also feel that some people are more genetically predisposed to having depression. My mother had really bad depression (she didn't have thal), which overcame her at times, seemingly for no apparent reason.  It seemed to be just a chemical thing. I know I get more easily depressed when my hemoglobin is low, then I feel better when it goes back up after a transfusion.
    It is miserable. You feel like nothing is good in life, and that there is nothing to live for. Add to that the daily struggle with thal, and whamo! It is difficult to deal with all that. Just know that we all care on this site, and we will do all we can to support you.   Jean   :bighug

You said it exactly right. That's is what i'm feeling especially when my HB is low. I can't help it. Beside from blaming myself, i blamed everything that crossed my path on that day..everything is not right. i have never felt these awful feelings before. it had started for about the last 3 years. I really felt miserable. I wanted to share ut i just cant put it all into words

:heartred

Nur

Kathy11

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 12:26:01 AM »
Hello Ida-Marie.
LIfe with depression is not easy!!! unless one suffer from depression one can never know the misery and desperation  one feels
I find that having a  good friend to talk it out with help.At times I had to take antidepressant for a short time and I also find that having a balance diet with plenty of rest help.

Take time to yourself if possible do  things that uplift your spirit.have plenty of fresh air and good company.Again its not easy thing to do when one is down Please make yourself do it.

:flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers

I hope your mood improve and you will feel better soon.

Hug and kisses :bighug :bighug :bighug
   From Kathy

Kathy11

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 12:41:29 AM »
excuse me the last message was meant for Nur
I address it to the wrong person.
Have a good day Nur  hope you feel better soon.
Kathy

Offline fairytale

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »
Hi guys,

My only conclusion is that we should all try and keep our heamoglobin high cause i also get very depressed when it drops and i can't help it.  I HATE waking up and starting my day allready tired

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
Hi ,

I don't know if this thred is supposed to be for majors only or minors too, as i am a thal minor,but since last few years i have been in depression that much that i am tired now sometimes of being alive,sometimes i wish i can sleep looooooooooong,, very very loooooooooong,, not knowing what;s going on around me,i wish i can have peace of mind,,,life is fuyll of problems and difficulties and obstacles,,,and if you have no shoulder to cry on,,,it's hellish,,i feel soooooooooo miserable sometimes that i want to get myself ouit of this world,,,,i am tired of searching for happiness,,,caring and sharing,,, are these only terminologies,, or do they really exist???sorry about the hbehaviour of this post,,,but i am really frustrated right now,, forgive me.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk