Is Vitamin C continue with Desirox ?

• 6 Replies
Is Vitamin C continue with Desirox ?
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:59:40 AM »
Dear All,
My Baby is effected by Thalassemia and he need Blood Transfusion every 3 week. I start a Desirox medicine to control Iron and Vitamin C and other multivitamin give with Desirox or not.
Also tell Desirox Tablet mixed with milk or not Bcz Baby is only 13 month age its very difficult to give medicine .

Re: Is Vitamin C continue with Desirox ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:19:50 AM »
Dear Friends,
Kindly Reply.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »
Hi Gurpreet,

1. When was your baby diagnosed with Thalassemia, at what age?
2. How many transfusions s/he has  had till date?
3. Have you got your baby tested for ferritin level? What is his/her ferritin count?

Regards,
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:50:36 PM »
Hi Gurpreet,
As far as I remember from Dr. Neufeld from Boston Children's hospital, the chelation should not start till the child turns 2 yrs old. So, i think starting chelation at 13 months is too early. As Himanshu Kumar asked below, what is his ferritin level?

p.s. at this age, age appropriate dosage of Vit C, Vit D and a multi-vitamin should be OK to give.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »
Dear Himanshu,
The first transfusion during 6 month age and the Ferritn Level is 1162.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
Hi Gurpreet,

It may be too early to start chelation at this age. Ferritin of 1100 is not considered too high and you can wait for a few months before starting Chelation. Many doctors prescribe chelation either after the age of 2 or if the ferritin touches 2k.

You may start with multiple vitamins, Vitamin B, C, D  etc. Please consult your doctor before starting chelation. Meanwhile you can avoid high iron food like red meat, lentils etc. This will slow down the ferritin build up in the body. However don't compromise on nutrition and protein (fish is a good option for protein), give your child high calcium food like milk, curd etc.

God Bless,
Himanshu

Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:51:38 AM »
Thanks Himanshu

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk