starting my son asunra tablets. plz help

• 74 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: starting my son asunra tablets. plz help
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »
Zara,

The ALT's are high, but the drug is not stopped unless the ALT levels are 5 times normal. But, you do want to lower the levels from where they are currently.
The first thing is to make sure the child is always well hydrated, and especially during the blood test, so you get an accurate reading. Exjade/Asunra does require much water, so make sure the fluid intake is good.
Keep the dose split in half and take twice daily. The tabs can be crushed and mixed with any foods. There is an herb called milk thistle, which is a very mild herb and will help keep the ALT levels lower. Find this herb and give it to the child daily. It can easily be found sold online by vitamin companies.

Next time the child is to be tested, have it done early in the day and make sure the child is well hydrated. This should give you a lower test result. If the test is still high, you should consider stopping the drug for a week and then restarting at half a dose for at least one week before going back to the normal dose.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
Thank you so much for ur reply ANDY
I will definitely find milk thistle and give it to my son.
Can you tell me how to give it if it's in the form of capsules or tablets? And also tell me after how many weeks I should repeat his ALT tests(in how many weeks it will rise to dangerous level) as I told u before that it is not possible to get his tests done weekly bcz his two veins got punctured on his transfusion day and it's really difficult to find his veins.
His stool colour hasn't changed much. Ivery read that it should be dark brown or blackish brown. Does that mean he is not chelating well?
Thanks again

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 08:13:30 PM »
It probably just means his iron load isn't very high yet. This is why if a break from chelation is needed, it's not such a big deal. He is young and his iron load won't be so serious yet.

Testing should be at least monthly. Can it be combined with another blood draw, to minimize how often he is pricked?

Milk thistle comes in capsules. If needed, you can open them and mix it with any food.
Andy

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »
Thank you so much for ur detailed reply ANDY. You are a big source of information and inspiration for ppl like us who live in a country where drs don't bother about new researches or about parents problems.
You know when I told Abdullah's hemo that we are giving him asunra with food and it's a new research he said he doesn't believe these kind of researches as they often come and are again refused. So we should adopt that thing that all ppl are using asunra with water or juice and it's the proper way to take this.
Yes we always do his blood tests on his transfusion day, when the nurse pass canula she draw blood samples from it. But because of his high ALT we will check it after two weeks if it's possible.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
Zara
  Good Evening
                     My daughter is taking 800 of asunra. earlier her ferritin level begun to rise and then after discussion with doctor we split the dose in half and gave her twice a day and it has given some dramatic effect and last mth her ferrtin level has gone down to 1330 from 2000  in last 3mths. I always recommend walnuts which soaked in water for 12 hrs, flex seeds and almonds and if ur n.v eater then once a week egg white and chicken.
   Doctor in PGI say upto 5 times the alt level is tolerable with asunara and one query why not started with kelfer. it is still the best chealtor as far as i think

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
Thank you for ur kind advise but our dr here said that asunra is best and they normally start asunra to all patients.
Shall I soak walnuts almonds and flax seeds all in water and then gibe them to my son or what ??

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:51 AM »
No only walnuts and almonds are tone soaked and aldi seeds could be grounded and given in porridge ore any other solid diet .  1tsf is sufficiently

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:25 AM »
Hello everyone
Plz help me from which site I can order milk thistle, Ip6, Vitamin E etc
Bcz these things are not available in Pakistan.
I will be grateful if someone do a quick reply bcz it takes time for doing order and shipment.
Thanks again

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
Have you checked GNC?
Andy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »
No I didn't know about it.
I will definitely check it now.
Thanks alot ANDY

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 05:54:33 AM »
have u tried nesquik calci n+ . it is a chocalate drink like bournvita but no iron added to it. only replenishes the calcium. it is made by nestle and is imported in india and cost around 400 for 500 gm packing. strawberry flavour is also available. I am giving it to my daughrer for last 6years. if u wish u could try

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Thank you. I will try nesquik.
Andy I have checked both GNC and puritan but they both don't do shipping in Pakistan. What should I do?
I really want to start my son milk thistle, Ip6 and vitamin E.
I've read in ur posts about the importance of these three.
Plz tell me how can I buy them.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 02:21:25 AM »
Zara, one of our moderators passed this info onto me.

Hi Andy, I don't think IP6 is available in Pakistan, I always used to order it from puritan, Tariq shared a link with me the other day from where he ordered his gnc wheat grass tabs, let me give you that, otherwise vitamin E softgels should be available at any drugstore, the ones we used to use before puritan were called "tokosvit" they were the natural ones, not the synthetic ones.
http://www.vitaminhive.com/herbs-natural-remedies/259-gnc-superfoods-wheat-grass-60-servings.html

Puritan is a US mail order company. They do ship internationally and have fairly reasonable prices and do a lot of specials like by 2, get 3 free.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 02:35:34 AM »

Dear Andy,

How milk thistle and Ip6 work? What is ALT and when it is need to test? What the normal level of ALT ? Please share..
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 03:52:59 AM »
Lokkhi,

Milk thistle is a healing herb that helps repair liver tissue. It is used as an herbal tonic for the liver and other organs, and some thals have seen a decrease in ALT levels when using milk thistle. ALT's are liver function tests that should be done regularly when using Exjade or Asunra. ALT's fluctuate a lot, so smaller increases are not a problem. Staying hydrated and using milk thistle can both help keep the levels lower. IP6 is related to the B vitamins. It is already found throughout the human body. It is found in bran of grains like rice and is used as a supplement by thals, as it is a mild iron chelator that can supplement the drugs, and it also inhibits the actions of iron in cells, thereby protecting the cells from iron damage.

Milk thistle is a common wild plant and you can see a picture of it at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=274
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk