Beta Thal minor pregnancy- Shilk

• 11 Replies

Offline Shilk

Beta Thal minor pregnancy- Shilk
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
Hello All the members of forum. This is really wonderful group of friends with whom am feeling confident to share my life. I am 30 yr old female. All my life I felt little short of breath whenever I ran or did any exercise. I never knew anything about Thalassemia carrier until 2 years ago. While in U.S. My doctor saw some irregularities in my CBC report and asked me to get further testing. My haemoglobin was 11. I was diagnosed as PRESUMPTIVE HETEROZYGOUS FOR BETA THALASSEMIA.

Then they tested my husband and thankfully he is not a carrier of any blood disorder. Then I really wanted to plan my pregnancy, I was referred to a haematologist and after seeing my reports, he said am a carrier of beta Thalassemia minor trait and it will not affect my future or my pregnancy.

Now I got pregnant in March 2015, we were so happy for our first baby and got ecstatic to see the heart beat and baby had normal growth and measuring perfect at 7 weeks ultra sound.

Then when we went in for my 11 weeks appointment, they could not find heartbeat. Did 3 Ultrasounds. Then we immediately went to another doctor there also they could not detect heartbeat and after doing ultrasound said baby has gone. I miscarried next day naturally. Doctor gave me antibiotics, pain medication and ferrous sulphate iron capsules saying I had lot of bleeding and must take them. My haemoglobin was 9.8.

I discussed the cause of miscarriage and was told there can be many reasons mostly chromosomal or hormonal and having Thalassemia minor trait is not related to miscarriage. No definite answers. But reading some posts here on the forum I want to find out the reason.

During my pregnancy OB gave me a prescription "SysFol Activ" 1 capsule daily having
L-Methyl Folate calcium 1 mg
Mecobalamin JP             1500 mcg
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate    1.5 mg

While in the U.S. I was also suggested to take Pure encapsulations Nutrient 950 with vitamin K as a prenatal. So I used to take 1 capsule daily during pregnancy.

Now after my miscarriage we are really devastated. The emotional pain is greater than physical pain I went through. We wanted this baby so badly and it left me in tears and longing to find answers.

I want to know whether I have any other haemoglobin variant problem or any other condition which doctors are not able to find out? What was the cause of my miscarriage? What I should be doing and taking to have a healthy baby.

Thank you so much.
Regards
Shilk

Offline Lokkhi maa

Re: Beta Thal minor pregnancy- Shilk
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
Hello Shilk,

Really sorry for your baby and miscarriage.I am also carrier of beta thalassemia minor trait and my husband is Hb E so as a result my baby born with e beta thalassemia and needs transfusion.Don't worry you will get a healthy baby..You are lucky as you are only carrier and your husband have no blood disorder... :smileblue

Best wishes for your family ... :heartpink :heartpink
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Shilk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
Hello Lokkhi maa

Thanks for your kind response. Best wishes and good health to your family as well.

I am so scared and worried after miscarriage. Want to know what went wrong and what I can do now.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:38 AM »
Hi Shilk,

A study of thal minor women concluded that thal minor women have no higher chance of miscarriage than non-thal women. So, every doctor will tell you that is the case. But the reports from thal minor women at this group and at the Facebook groups tell a different story. Many of these reports come to me as confidential messages, so others may not be aware of the high amount of thal minor women who have had miscarriages and how many have had multiple miscarriages. The doctors may not be aware of it, but I have heard so many reports of anywhere from 2-9 miscarriages among thal minor women, that I have to believe there is a connection, and because there is a known problem in the more serious forms of thalassemia, one could expect that some of the same things are going on in minors. There is a known issue called the hypercoagulable state that is often found in thal intermedia and major patients, and it leads to clotting in the blood. During pregnancy, this can cause a decrease in blood flow between the uterus and placenta, leading to miscarriage. This clotting is not normal clotting. It is due to the amount of "debris" in the blood in thalassemics. There is an overproduction of ineffective red blood cells and there are unmatched alpha globin chains, which are basically obstructions in the blood.

I would suggest that when you are pregnant, you raise the dose of L-methylfolate to 2-5 mg daily. This is important for the added demand for red blood cells during pregnancy. And take 400 IU natural vitamin E daily during pregnancy. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and a natural blood thinner, which will help prevent the decrease in blood flow between placenta and uterus. A diet high in antioxidant foods and supplements can be of great value to those with thalassemia.

Don't let this get you too depressed. It happens a lot. Just take really good care of yourself and get great nutrition during pregnancy. We have a lot of nutritional advice for thal minors here that can be very helpful in maintaining good health.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Shilk

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for your response. I am overwhelmed by your knowledge and enthusiasm in helping everyone on this site. I am not able to recover from my loss, still in tears. But I have to gather strength and do everything I can for a healthy baby ahead. There is are so many helpful posts here.

Does taking regular Folic acid IP harmful for the baby? During my 7-8 weeks I took regular folic acid 5 mg as suggested by another OB.

Now Can I take 5 capsules of following prescription of SysFol containing
L-Methyl Folate calcium 1 mg
Mecobalamin JP             1500 mcg
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate    1.5 mg

All other vitamins along with L-Methyl Folate will be 5 times. So is it safe to take these 5 capsules to make 5 mg L-Methyl Folate?

I understand Most important supplement to take would be natural Vitamin E. Can you please suggest me which brand natural vitamin E you and everyone here take? I searched many brands and even the ones which says Natural are derived from SOY. Am so confused which vitamin E is really natural and some says d-alpha tocopherol others d-alpha tocopheryl.

Thanks and regards,

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:58:03 PM »
Hi Shill
I am so sorry to know about your loss dear but I am sure that God will grant all what you want soon

d-alpha tocopherol or with mixed tocopherol is the natural source of vitamin E BUT don't buy dl-alpha  tocopherol as this is the artificial one.

I use nature's way brand or sometimes Wegmans or Holland and Barrett

Manal

Offline Shilk

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:17:10 AM »
Hi Manal

Thanks for your response. I am still crying. Can't bear the pain of losing my baby. The brands you mentioned are not available in India. I saw many vitamin E capsules at pharmacy, but could not find which one is truly natural form. Some just says vitamin E or some are with dl- some are derived from soy. So confused.

Any Indian friends can please guide me which good natural Vitamin E is available here or we can order from any website. All suggestions would be really grateful.

Thanks

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »

Dear Andy and Manal,

Thanks for your advice.I am sorry that I have no idea about the below issue.Please help me.I want to know...

Whats the difference between natural vitamin E and mixed tocopherol vitamin E ?

What is d-alpha tocopherol and dl-alpha  tocopherol ?

Which is better for thal baby?

:heartpink :heartpink :heartpink
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
Lokkhi,

d-alpha is natural E. dl-alpha is synthetic and inferior.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 02:40:24 AM »

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I found in Puritan " vitamin E 100% natural (as d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate)". Is it helpful or may I import it for my baby ? What do you think ?
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
Yes, that is fine. Puritan offers many natural vitamin E products. As long as it is d-alpha and not dl, it's good.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »

Thanks Andy.. :happyyes
Lokkhi Maa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk