Working with Thalassemia Intermedia

• 1 Replies
Working with Thalassemia Intermedia
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »
Hi I'm new to this website.  I wanted to know what jobs people do. I've had a few over the years, babysitting, filling shelves & serving customers in a grocery store, waitressing & a few more. I did those when I was younger. Four years ago I was a courier which took too much out of my body physically, causing me to have 2 transfusions over a 3year peroid.
I had to take 12months off to recover. This year I have been looking for work without any success. I get tired too easily and suffer from joint aches and pains. I'm only 43years old & have 3 teenagers.  Any sugestions.

Offline sofear

Re: Working with Thalassemia Intermedia
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
What you mention is a huge problem. If you have a 'visible' disability and are, for example, sitting in a wheel chair, most employers that offer jobs which are physically demanding would understand that your working capabilities are somewhat limited and either not hire you from the beginning or give you specialized tasks you are able to do. On the other hand, if you have something that might not be as 'visible', you might get into a lot of problems with not only your employer but also your colleagues, who might both simply see you as 'lazy'. I'm only a minor and rather young still (23), but the disease has also been getting in my way numerous times so far in my working life.

The only chance I really see for me personally is to acquire the necessary knowledge to work in a specialized environment and preferably have an 'office-type' job. Jobs that do not require a special education are scarce where I live and most of them are very demanding physically.

It is hard to give suggestions if we don't know how much money you need/want to earn and what type of education you went through.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk