Splenomegaly or no splenomegaly!

• 7 Replies
Splenomegaly or no splenomegaly!
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:28:37 AM »
Hello friends, I am a Thal major patient. I have been taking hydroxyurea since 6 years with hb levels 8-9 and no ongoing blood transfusions. Recently my hb and platelets gradually dropped down.
My hb level dropped to 7.5 and platelets were 1lakhs. Since my platelet levels were low, my doctor advised me to stop hydrea. After a month my hb level is down to 6.5 and platelets are almost same. Now, my doctor is suggesting me to go for splenomegaly. He says It might be helpful. I am also thinking to go for it because After 6 years of my life without blood transfusions and ferritin levels at900. I don't want to go for blood transfusions again but before making that decision, I wanted to know the side-effects or complications from having my spleen removed. Please help.

Offline Dharmesh

Re: Splenomegaly or no splenomegaly!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:24:04 AM »
Hi,
After Splenectomy your platelate will remain high, which leads to blood cloting in body & veins. Post splenectomy low dose Aspirin is given to tackle high platelate. Also, it reduce ur immunity to some extent & peniciline prophylaxis need to be taken after spleen removal
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
Hello friends, I am a Thal major patient. I have been taking hydroxyurea since 6 years with hb levels 8-9 and no ongoing blood transfusions. Recently my hb and platelets gradually dropped down.
My hb level dropped to 7.5 and platelets were 1lakhs. Since my platelet levels were low, my doctor advised me to stop hydrea. After a month my hb level is down to 6.5 and platelets are almost same. Now, my doctor is suggesting me to go for splenomegaly. He says It might be helpful. I am also thinking to go for it because After 6 years of my life without blood transfusions and ferritin levels at900. I don't want to go for blood transfusions again but before making that decision, I wanted to know the side-effects or complications from having my spleen removed. Please help.
shray ji spleenomegaly is not big issue if you believ in ayurveda a little bit,
just start wheat grass juice and juice/ extract of papaya leafs it will surely inhence your platelets count,
and there are various medicines in ayurveda to manage spleenomegaly,
removing spleen will further create problems,
personally ask Andy sir,
and i will request plz before going to remove it plz try Yoga , Ayurveda and Naturopathy.
if you are interested i can suggest few things more.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
I also do not think routine splenectomy should be done on thal patients. The long term issues with clotting and the potential that splenectomy will only provide a temporary drop in transfusion requirements, make it a less attractive option. I agree with DrRajpal. If there are issues with the spleen, address it with natural remedies. In addition to helping regulate proper spleen function, the natural methods may mean the blood lasts a bit longer and the gap between transfusions may extend another week, as we have seen with many who are currently using wheatgrass.

Unlike with many who have come to this site offering "cures" DrRajpal has made very modest claims and what he talks about is all based on methods that we know have some value. I am pleased that he has made no outrageous claims, but instead stuck to the concept of helping people.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:36:27 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
Dr Andy and Dr Rajpal, I do understand your point but the thing is I have been on hydroxyurea for 6 years and I was perfectly fine. Since my platelets dropped and hb dropped, Hydroxyurea was temporarily stopped and I was transfused with two units of blood. My pre-transfusion levels were hb6.5 and platelets103. After a week my hb levels are10.3 and platelets98. So, i guess the low platelet count is because of the spleen.
Now, if I don't go for splenectomy would I require blood transfusions ?
I don't want to go for blood transfusions. It felt like everything was fine for almost 6years and now I'm again in the same condition.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:52:15 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
Dr Andy and Dr Rajpal, I do understand your point but the thing is I have been on hydroxyurea for 6 years and I was perfectly fine. Since my platelets dropped and hb dropped, Hydroxyurea was temporarily stopped and I was transfused with two units of blood. My pre-transfusion levels were hb6.5 and platelets103. After a week my hb levels are10.3 and platelets98. So, i guess the low platelet count is because of the spleen.
I don't want to go for blood transfusions. It felt like everything was fine for almost 6years and now I'm again in the same condition.
Thanks Dr. Andy for making me more confident.
Shray ji i will reply you soon in detail, a little busy these days.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
yes papaya leaves n wheat grass juicess are highly effective.
please take seven days , get blood checkup on every third day.
surely u will b benefited, last year and before that Dengue (in which platelets destroys very fast) was very dangerous in Delhi, i was in gurgaon, n we got exellent results in it by papaya leaves extract, with in 24 hours in many cases, in few cases patient were in ICU and platelets were dropped below 10,000 and we got quick response, in all those cases i have never told patients to stop modern treatment, but told to adopt these with previous treatment and the results were motivational ,
Andy sir have also explained in detail about Spleenomegaly:  spleenectomy and related topics.
there are also few other ayurvedic preparation, if needed we will discuss ,
and do u practices yoga or not?
yoga,
naturopathy and
ayurveda are much beneficial in secondary complications of thalassemia.

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 06:15:28 AM »
Dr. Rajpal,

What other natural remedies you suggest for splenomegaly apart from those two you mentioned.
Waleed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk