How to choose a career

• 6 Replies
How to choose a career
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:50:41 PM »
Hi everybody
How are you all doing? Hopefully fine

I want to discuss college's life and the right career for a person having thal major

How can he do better in the school and the career that he might choose
In fact I want to focus on the second point more
For myself, I'm very confused and feel lost when it comes to choosing my field and college
I'm studying general engineering now ( or prepatory year of engineering )
And don't know what field would suit me
Elect..civil, mechanical, architecture, industrial ..and there is computer science

Of course my concern is due to having thal major
I'm afraid of pursuing a worng field , after studying 4 years find myself in a career that is not gonna fit a thalasimic

Some may find it stupid to ask about such thing
But I don't know how to decide..
I prefer electrical , civil, industrial engineering
But these all a careers that require a lot of physical effort

What do think
Please share your experiences..

Re: How to choose a career
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »
Aaron,

Your question is not stupid. You can discuss anything here.

I don't see how thal can impact anyone pursuing whatever they want. It's in your mind, just go for anything you love the most. Don't let thal be any hindrance to your goals. Read about people with physical challenges and achieved great goals. Maintain you Hg and chelate properly with proper diet.

Read about Terry Fox and his marathon to raise funds for cancer.
Regards.

Offline CrazyPharm

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »
Hi everybody
How are you all doing? Hopefully fine

I want to discuss college's life and the right career for a person having thal major

How can he do better in the school and the career that he might choose
In fact I want to focus on the second point more
For myself, I'm very confused and feel lost when it comes to choosing my field and college
I'm studying general engineering now ( or prepatory year of engineering )
And don't know what field would suit me
Elect..civil, mechanical, architecture, industrial ..and there is computer science

Of course my concern is due to having thal major
I'm afraid of pursuing a worng field , after studying 4 years find myself in a career that is not gonna fit a thalasimic

Some may find it stupid to ask about such thing
But I don't know how to decide..
I prefer electrical , civil, industrial engineering
But these all a careers that require a lot of physical effort

What do think
Please share your experiences..

choose a field or carrier path that allows flexibility for schedule and work load. you want to have set days off if possible and generally a stable stress load. I currently work a 4 day work week with same days off every week. That allows me to have my transfusions and set up doctor visits months in advance. also each day at work is typical and doesnt stress me out randomly. you want to look at local careers if you prefer so you dont struggle moving away or driving too far. keep things calm and predictable so your health doesnt suffer. good luck

Offline Tamizhan

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:08:38 AM »
Aaron,

Choose a field which you feel comfortable. My suggestion is if you want to become engineer, then choose computer science where you have work from home options. And you can also work as a freelancer. There are many freelance portals available. Also involve yourself in trading and investing. These jobs requires less physical effort and you can work sitting in your at your preferred timing.

Actually, I got dental doctor seat. But my engineering aspiration made me to reject it. And now I'm suffering from osteoarthritis and felt like I could have chosen Dental instead of Engineering so that I could have set up a Dental clinic in my home itself.
I never give up!

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
You can choose any speciality from elictrical, mechanical etc. subject to your health condition.
You can do any work including physical hard work if ur health condition is excellent.

Its a key to success, rely on us for improving health conditions.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »
A very valid question raised. we feel a lot of problem in getting job particularly in Government Departments. As they disqualify on medical grounds.
Private sector also discourages due to heavy expenditures of thal employees.

We must raise voices that there should be some procedure for qualifying a thal , if he is otherwise fit for the job.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »
Many patients do not want a disability classification for thalassemics, but it would be the best way to prevent them from being the victims of employment discrimination. We must continue to push for this so thals do not face discrimination in the workplace.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk