husbands Spleen taken out now what?

• 1 Replies
husbands Spleen taken out now what?
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:19:03 AM »
Hello everyone. My husband has Thal Major...and he's 23 years old. About 4 years ago, My husband had his spleen taken out, and for 6 months after that the doctor made him come in for transfusions so his iron levels could be normal and after 6 months he stopped tranfusions. I know that normally after you're supposed to get transfusions normally but for him it's okay. He doesn't need transfusions anymore, and he's on pennicilian forever now. what I want to know is, what happens to him now? This kind of scares me. I know of osteop. inThal patients so I'm taking him to the doctor to get him checked up on any signs of that and a bone density test...along with to check if he has a possible bone marrow match out there anywhere in the world if anything were to happen. He's doing fine right now....but I don't know what to expect in his condition at his age right now, I'm freaking out as a wife because I don't know what to do or expect!!!....Can anyone help me with this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE b]

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: husbands Spleen taken out now what?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:56:25 AM »
Hi Soon To Be Wife,

I think you should talk to your husband's doctor and ask if he should be reclassified as a thal intermedia, as a major would not be able to discontinue transfusing after a splenectomy, while treatment for thal intermedia has traditionally included splenectomy to reduce or eliminate the need for blood. Since both major and intermedia normally refer to thal where both Hb genes are defective, the distinction between major and intermedia is not always clear. If he hasn't transfused for over three years, it is likely he is actually intermedia, which can almost be described as thal major lite.

Can you tell us what your husband's hemoglobin range is? If he gets by on a low level he may need to watch for iron buildup from his diet, as excess iron can be absorbed by the gut if the Hb is low. Osteo has been a problem in thals and regular bone density scans are recommended, but with today's drugs, it is a manageable problem that can even be reversed.

There are many problems related to thal and you can read about many of them on this site and also ways to deal with them. The really positive thing is that your husband is not transfusing and is doing well. He needs a good diet and some supplements like folic acid and I think you both can benefit by reading some of the discussions on our boards. It is important that his doctor understand thal well, so that if any problems do begin, they can be recognized and treated. There is no reason to believe your husband will not lead a normal life.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk