Foods That Increases Non Heme Iron Absorption

• 2 Replies

Offline AJP

Foods That Increases Non Heme Iron Absorption
« on: February 16, 2016, 05:41:44 AM »
Dear Thalpal experts and Andy Sir,  
                                                        Want to know your valuable opinion about this issue. Please reply.

Here are some foods which increases the rate of non heme iron absorption when these are taken along with meals.
We all avoid Vitamin C with meals but want to know these foods are works how much extent compare to vit C  ?
Should these foods also avoided along with meals for less transfusing and less chelating thals with moderate HB levels  ?

1) . Sweets and sugar
  2). Some fish  (Asian stinging catfish ) and sea food , Oysters, Egg yolk , meats.

Specially want to know about  sugars  ? Please reply.
      Thanks.
Stand up for your Right
Never give up your Fight

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Foods That Increases Non Heme Iron Absorption
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:36:03 AM »
Sweets should be used only in moderation and preferably in an unprocessed form, like honey or raw sugar. No problem with fish. Don't cheat the thal patient out of nutrition by worrying too much about vitamin C. It's more important to make sure that food is nutritious, so avoid empty calories but don't avoid nutritious fruits and vegetables.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline AJP

Re: Foods That Increases Non Heme Iron Absorption
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:56:52 AM »
Thank you Sir for reply.

Generally I don't drink any kind of processed drink. I drink these very rarely. Only use raw sugar with tea. In past I took unrefined honey which was collected directly from  honey-comb which was built in a tree of our small garden in every spring. But from last year we don't get honey and my stock is also finished.  I am not interested in honey available in the market because most of them are costly, refined and contains additives.

Asian stinging catfishes are highly nutritious and easily digestible and people eat them when they fall in sickness.

Clams and Oysters are also nutritious. May be this is one of reason why tribal people are soo healthy. Friends anyone of you eat these ever  ?  :biggrin

After knowing that these contain heme iron and also  enhance the non heme iron absorption I stop eating these foods from last year but now I think I should not avoid these for iron concern and I will continue in moderation.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:03:30 AM by Abyaya Jyoty »
Stand up for your Right
Never give up your Fight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk