Hemo E Trait Detected - Do I have Alpha Thal too?

• 6 Replies
Hemo E Trait Detected - Do I have Alpha Thal too?
« on: January 14, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
Hi,
  I am very new to this forum (and topic).  I recently took a Hemoglobin Electrophoresis, and Hemoglobin E Trait was detected.  I received my results online and have not had a chance to speak to the doctor yet (weekend).  I am wondering if I am likely to have Alpha Thal Trait or be an Alpha Thal Silent Carrier?  Is there any way of telling this from my results below?

Hemoglobin Electrophoresis
RBC: 5.32
Hemoglobin:  11.6
MCV:  68.8
RDW-CV: 14.3
Hemo A: 73.7
Hemo F: 1.3
Hemo E: 25

CBC:

WBC:   6.61 K/mcL   
RBC:   5.64 M/mcL   
Hemoglobin:   12.2 g/dL
MCV:   67.9 fL   
MCH:   21.6 pg
MCHC:   31.9 g/dL
RDW-CV:   14.4 %

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hemo E Trait Detected - Do I have Alpha Thal too?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »
Mostly, it looks like an HbE carrier. This affects the beta globin gene. If an alpha deletion was also present, the HbE% would be lower than 25.

HbE carriers usually don't have a lot of symptoms. It should be noted that children of an HbE carrier and beta thalassemia carrier can have a child with a serious condition.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:10:16 AM »
Thanks, Andy.  My husband also got his results back from the Hemoglobin electrophoresis, and his was NORMAL. 

I am from northern Thailand and he is from the US.  I had read that us Thais have a higher incidence of Thal, as well as HbE.  My doctor originally had me tested because of the small red blood cells.  But, it looks like it may have just been caused by the HbE.  We recently learned we are pregnant with our first, so that was stressful.

We had the Alpha DNA test run anyway, but results won't be back until next week.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:04 AM »
Good to know your husband isn't a carrier.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
So, I finally received the results of the Alpha Globin Gene Analysis.  It turns out that I have two deletions on the same chromosone.  And all this time I was told I just needed Iron :-\

Because me and my husband are pregnant, the doctor also tested him using Alpha Globin Gene Analysis.  My husband's result was NEGATIVE: No deletions or duplications within the alpha-globin gene cluster were identified.  Neither the HB Constant Spring nor the Alpha-T Saudi alterations were identified."

I am very thankful that he came back OK.  I also appreciate this website, as it provided me with enough information to understand what was going on.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
It's good news that your husband is not a carrier. Please resist all attempts to treat your condition with iron. Almost every two gene deleted report from an alpha minor I have seen shows low ferritin and low everything else in regards to iron. These people are not iron deficient. Folate is the proper treatment.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
Thanks again for the input and advice, Andy.  Best of luck to you and everyone else on this website.
- Meaw and Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk