minor thalassemia or internal bleeding ?

• 6 Replies
minor thalassemia or internal bleeding ?
« on: January 23, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »
my husband felt tired with weight loss 2 years ago, he was under stress but i dont know if this is related, he saw his gastro Dr who required multiple blood tests along with ( all were normal) except for CBC abdomen ultrasound, (iron was 17 and ferritin was 412)
his CBC came out as follow

HB 10.9
WBC   3500
POLY   40
Lymph   43
Eosin   07
Basophiles   00
Moncytes 10
Platelet   289
RBC   5.59   
HCT   33.5
MCV 59.9
MCH   19.5
MCHC   32.5
RDW   15.1
ferritin 401

ULTRASOUND was normal , the Dr was not concerned, he kept repeating his CBC it was the same for the next years except for the HB which was Fluctuating Between 11.8 and 10.7,

last one was before 1 week

HB 10.7
WBC   4050
POLY   45
Lymph   39
Eosin   06
Basophiles   00
Moncytes 10
Platelet   237
RBC   5.53   
HCT   32.8
MCV 59.3
MCH   19.3
MCHC   32.6
RDW   15.5

Liver function normal
ALT was 56

My husband keeps telling me that this is something in his family that their normal blood is within this range.
BTW he has G6pd

i remember we did a blood tests which was required by our country before we got married , they told us about G6PD but they didnt mention thalasemya

and i have another question , whats the difference between carrier and trait ??

thank you
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:28:30 AM by Emani »

Re: minor thalassemia or internal bleeding ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
I wish i get an answer

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
Sorry for the late response. Been a very hectic and at times, dangerous week for me, so I am behind everywhere.

I need to know something and am hoping you can supply the information. I need to know if people with G6PD have normal CBC's or if it's abnormal as with thal minor. Also, when you say he has G6PD, is he a carrier or does he have the full deficiency? And has he been diagnosed as a thal minor, also?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
Hello Andy , hope things are turning great with you

He is a full g6pd deficincy , but g6pd people have normal cbc unless they eat something like beans or some medicines ,

No body told us before that he has thala minor before , even when we did the medical blood test before we got married , they just told us that we both are g6pd but its fine to get married , this is 6 years back ، at that time i didnt ask if he has thal minor or not ?

Im afraid that he has anemia due to somthing else so when he went to the gast dr he said nothing !!!

I know that his family are having some sort of anemia and he is anamic for a long time , last one ibremember before 7 years his hb was 11.2 and mcv  was 36 at that time and mch was 19.5

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »
He should have a hemoglobin electrophoresis test done, just a simple blood smear. If the HbA2 is high, he has thal minor. Looking at the CBC, I am inclined to think this is thal minor and not related to iron deficiency or bleeding.
Andy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
I wish it is thal not anything else , i will let him make that teat , but could it be silent one and it does show only in cbc ? Is it possible ?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »
The values shown in the CBC indicate possible thal minor, so the hemoglobin electrophoresis should be done. I doubt this is from a bleed.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk