Thal major pregnancies

• 5 Replies
Thal major pregnancies
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
Hi everyone

May I start by saying what a fantastic site!  It's great to know that there is an international support network out there.  Keep up the great work.

This is a question for all the thalasaemia women who have been fortunate enough to fall pregnant.

Is there a 'no-go-zone' for falling pregnant with relation to ferretin levels.  I'm just curious as to how low they need to be before you started planning for a pregnancy.

Also, if you are happy to share - just wanted to gage what everyone's ferretin levels were when they fell pregnant, and how high they reached by the end of your pregnancy.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Thal major pregnancies
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:06:21 PM »
Hi soulful,
In regards to your question,your ferritin level needs to be low as possible when you fall pregnant with thal,my doctor said the ferritin should be 1000 or lower.Hope this helps.Im sure everyones experince is probably different in regards to health & pregnancy in thal.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
I've had 2 pregnancies. I think my ferritin was around  2200.  With my second pregnancy afterthe third to fourth month i started subcutaneous desferal.
After both births my ferritin fell.  I think it was due to the blood loss during the birth.  I think my max ferritin was 3800.  I was and am fortunate that i don't have any problems with my  heart.  I would seriously think about getting pregnant if there are any heart problems.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
I don't know my exact number because the results read above 1650 but wouldn't give an exact number.  My baby is now three months old and I'm having issues keeping my hemoglobin up.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 02:12:44 AM »
Have you had to transfuse more than before you were pregnant?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:41:16 AM »
my hemoblobin would not go up past 80 (with getting three units every three weeks) my child is not seven months old and my hemoglobin pre-transfusion every three weeks is 110

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk