Advice on BMT

  • 22 Replies
  • 14772 Views
Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 04:46:15 AM »
Dear Kaleem,

The total cost should be somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 US Dollars for both the donor and receiver, it depends on many factors but this is what i generally paid .

Hospital should give you a better estimate.

*

Offline Andy Battaglia

  • *****
  • 8722
  • Gender: Male
  • Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:04 PM »
Kaleem,

In rare cases, patients with a donor chimerism as low as 10% have become transfusion free after BMT. While you decide on a second BMT, continue to observe the Hb and the mixed chimerism %. It seems that achieving a stable mixed chimerism rate is one of the keys to success in BMT.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
Dear Andy.. thank you so much for your encouraging remarks.. Last week his new chimerism report shows 33% which was better than one month ago when it was 21%..

So far he received two blood transfusions and HB is declining again and it was 8.9 yesterday and seems like need blood transfusion again.. Is it still possible that he could become Transfusion Free in coming months?

Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
Dear Fahed..

Thank you so much for your kind reply.. and how long you stayed in India?

Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
Dear Kaleem,

As you know, each case is different.

In our case, we stayed around 2 months in total.

*

Offline Andy Battaglia

  • *****
  • 8722
  • Gender: Male
  • Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
Kaleem,

It's hard to predict, but the Hb could still improve. In my opinion, a second BMT should only be done after the patient has completely recovered from the first BMT, so I feel you do have some time to observe before making a decision on another BMT. Also, please be aware that the odds of success are lower with a second BMT.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
last monday his hemoglobin was 8.9 and since then we stopped Cyclosporine and this saturday his hemoglobin increased to 9.7.. yes we are again desperately  expecting that it may work.. however since decreasing and then stopping cyclosprine brought some improvement in donor chimerism and hemoglobin as well but he lost his appetite and hardly taking any food.. otherwise fine.. we read an article by a Turkish doctor regarding withdrawal of cyclosporine and its affect on increasing hemoglobin as well as donor cells chimerism https://www.nature.com/articles/1705432

Re: Advice on BMT
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
hemoglobin dropped again to 7.9..  despite stopping cyclosporine

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk