Thal Minor and Gestational Diabetes Glucose Level

• 1 Replies
Thal Minor and Gestational Diabetes Glucose Level
« on: January 31, 2018, 03:19:59 AM »
Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to let the group know something I discovered about blood glucose level using a glucose monitor during pregnancy. My daughter attempted to take the typical gestational diabetes blood glucose test where you drink the orange drink. She could not keep it down so was not able to take the blood test after the hour. She did not feel  well for a couple of days after. They then had her monitor her glucose by using a glucose monitor to check her blood four times a day for one week. Her levels were pretty high which had me confused since she did not have the typical profile of someone with gestational diabetes. We questioned a few times if the thalassemia Minor and low hematocrit could have any influence over the results and were told no. She was then told to see a diabetes dietician. I asked the nurse if her low hematocrit of 26.3 can affect the levels. They checked the glucose monitor company, and sure enough, if your hematocrit level is under 30, this particular machine cannot register the glucose level properly. They gave my daughter a new machine that registers people with low hematocrit, and her levels were closer to normal. The doctors had no idea about this. So I wanted to let Thalassemia minor patients know this, so they are not put on insulin during pregnancy needlessly if case their levels are not correct. Check on the machine and hematocrit level first.  Hope this helps someone.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal Minor and Gestational Diabetes Glucose Level
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Please also be aware that the HbA1C test has no value in thal minors.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk