Elevated Monocyte Levels?

• 5 Replies
Elevated Monocyte Levels?
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »
On the last 6 bloodworks over the past 3 years, here are my "Monocytes" levels:

11.6, 10.1, 10.2, 9.8, 11.4, 12.3

Only one (9.8) is within range of <10. Google's list of usual suspects for monocytosis doesn't ring a bell with me.

Does anyone else have elevated monocyte levels?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Elevated Monocyte Levels?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »
Are your platelet levels also high? Sometimes, high results for the different types of blood cells are seen in thal minors because the bone marrow is overactive.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »
Hi Andy,

Platelet levels are as follows, in reverse chronological order:

192 [150-425]
195 [150-450]
248 [140-400]
251 [150-450]

Look pretty normal. What do you think?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »
The normal platelets demonstrate that the high white cell count is not related to overactive bone marrow. Most likely related to an infection or inflammation in the body.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
Are your platelet levels also high? Sometimes, high results for the different types of blood cells are seen in thal minors because the bone marrow is overactive.
Andy, what can be done if the bone marrow is overactive?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:21:21 AM »
Raising the Hb is the only way to slow down bone marrow activity, and even then, some minors whose Hb is normal have very high RBC counts, indicating that in spite of the normal Hb, they are still producing too many red blood cells. The more I learn about thal, the more I see that there are no pat answers that apply to every thal. There are many things in the discussion about raising Hb. Wheatgrass in any form, folate, vitamin B-12, B Complex, magnesium, L-carnitine and vitamin E are all in that discussion. Minors are often wary of iron, but an iron rich diet may also have a positive effect on Hb, with the need dependent on the iron status of each person, without resorting to iron supplements, which are not a good idea over the long term. The body more easily absorbs iron from food than from supplements, so it's another factor in favor of a dietary approach.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk