Thalassaemia and sports. Prove it

• 50 Replies

Offline Eponine

Thalassaemia and sports. Prove it
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:21:33 AM »
Hi

Would like to find out from all the thals out there how active they are in sports. Or any physical achievements they had. For e.g. there was this thal from UK who won took part in a marathon and came in 1st.

Reason I want to know is becuase there is this stigma that thals should not physically exert themselves, should not do dangerous sports, etc. Want to prove that we thals can do what we want just like any other person. So, please!! BRAG!

Offline Eponine

Re: Thalassaemia and sports. Prove it
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:26:43 AM »
OK, I'll start first then.

I'm a scuba diver and a rescue diver at that. Would have gone on to being a Dive Master if not for my last seizure attack and have been banned from my diving friends from going further. They are already allowing me to dive, but keeping a close watch on me. (doctor adviced to abstain for 4 yrs)

I have also make it to the top of Mt Ophir. (highest Mt in Asia or at least Malaysia)

Not that much, but am proud of it. Considering my parent's protectiveness

Offline jzd24

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:54:11 AM »
Eponine,
     That's amazing!  Quite the accomplishments.   :yahoo  I used to go horsebackriding quite a bit when I was in my 20's and 30's.  Jean

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:04:00 AM »
My son has been fortunate to be involved in ice hockey, soccer, basketball and he runs quite well too.  He is quite athletic and does well in the sports he participates in.  Keep it up folks, I am glad to hear that your not letting any 'stigma' hold you back!  Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zadkhi

• Hemoglobin H Disease
  • creativity is my lifeblood
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »
I'm sad to report that I've always been very easily exhausted when undertaking strenuous physical activities and on top of that, had asthma as well.  It wasn't anyone else's notions of what I shouldn't do that kept me from doing things - it was my own difficulties that kept me away.

However, I do enjoy hiking and taking long walks and going swimming at my own pace.

Offline Eponine

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »
Cool.... that's good enough. No need to feel bad about it. See? u still do some sports! You DO NOT allow whatever obstacles to stop you from doing what you love.  :cheer

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 06:51:04 PM »
The important thing is to get some regular exercise. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic as long as you get your blood circulating and improve the efficiency of your circulatory system. Walking and swimming are both great low impact exercises that almost everyone can do.

And for the minors, don't ever feel like it has to hold you back. The greatest tennis player of all time, Pete Sampras, is a minor. Will and determination play as big a factor as anything else.

Exercise makes you healthier. Even if you feel you can't do a thing you should at the least, try to walk regularly.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 11:32:38 PM »
Hello,

Excersie is good for general health, in particular it is good for Thal Major because of increased risk of Osteopeona (Osteoprosis) concerns.

Thals should select excerises which works against the rule of gravity. These excersies helps build and minimize the thinning of bones (Doctors recommended).

For example: Running, Stair climbing, Jumping, push ups..........

Regards
Regards.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:04:19 AM »
HI

regard me i do alot of sport everyday   :biggrin Andy i thing you know what i mean ...
         the good sport ido it every day from 6 o'clock morning until 9 o'clock evening that i have to run after my five kids for exampile woke up at 6 dress them for the school give them brekfast prebare the book for the school put them in the car take every one to his school on the rood some fighting each other also freguntly stop on side rood to stop the fighting after they came from school me and my wife be ready to change the dress and prebare the lunch in the lunch there is some food storm and some plate broken after they eat lunch i have to take every one of them from his nick to his room and put him in the bed i have almost two houres to relax and have lunch and stay in the peace after they woke up i have to see what they study and teach each of them  :banghead at nine they start to fight a gain each other because they don't want me to sleep on my bed so all of them come to my bed and i have to sleep over sofa bed  :wah in the middle of the night i have to cover them one by one and give them lovely kiss ....
    by the way i promes them one by one am going to stay between him and his wife on the first night of his wedding  :evilplan ...
     But in the end i still happy and they lightinig my whole life  and start thinking what my father and my mother  did for me and my brothers... this is the life ARE YOU AGREE WITH ME ANDY ?

KHALIFA
                                                     STATE OF KUWAIT

RED_PILOT

Offline jzd24

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 04:40:03 AM »
Khalifa - that was so funny! You had me laughing as I read what your sport is. You have such a great sense of humor, and what a great thing to have when you have 5 children! I always enjoy reading your posts.  Jean

Offline SalD

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 06:16:09 AM »

Here here!!  I second that Jean!   :rotfl

Just to pick up on Canadian_Family's point.... weight bearing exercise is indeed great for preventing the onset of osteoporosis/osteopenia.  To add to the list of possibile exercises.... hiking (carrying a backpack on a walk), lifting and carrying children around (as per Khalifa! :winky), and of course weight lifting (which is also good for managing diabetes).  For more information on lifting in the context of diabetes, visit http://www.diabetes.com.au/living.php?regionID=171&page=lift_for_life

Cheerio!
Sally.  :wavey

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »
My son has been fortunate to be involved in ice hockey, soccer, basketball and he runs quite well too.  He is quite athletic and does well in the sports he participates in.  Keep it up folks, I am glad to hear that your not letting any 'stigma' hold you back!  Sharmin

Your experience and info are interesting.

Surely you could never be good at endurance sport but what about your sprint?

I'm an athletics coach (scientist by profession as well) nad just by chance I have 3 athletes (out of around 30) who are thalassaemic, but I dont know more details.

WHAT I NOTICED THEY ARE IMPROVING MUCH MORE THAN OTHERS IN SPRINTS.

One 16 year old girl has progressed so much that she is representing MALTA at the world/european championships.

I was wondering if these athletes simply had the thalassaemic traits plus fast twitch muscles/nerves or according to my hypothesis THALASAEMIA PROVIDES A GREATER OXYGEN DEFICIT DURING SPORT IN SUCH A WAY THAT THE RECOVERY OF THE MUSCLE BIOCHEMISTRY IS ADVANTAGEOUS TO SPRINTING.

I appreciate contacts regarding this point of view on my email: scholofsport@gmail.com

Regards

Mark Farrugia

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:16 AM »
Prove it, you say?

You're only talking to the Central New York Summer 1998 Reserve Champion for Class 1 Dressage (horseback riding)

Ok, my moment of smugness is done.   :blush  Heehee, I love to prove a point.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 01:39:42 AM »
That's great, you guys!   :clap

I don't have extreme sport achievements or anything, but I have made many accomplishments.  I've been a dancer for most of my life and have won many awards, for hip-hop, tap, jazz and ballet.  I stuck with hip-hop for the most part, though.  I only stopped dancing when I was in nursing school because I couldn't handle both of them, and didn't have the time.  I am going back to dancing again soon, because I have since realized that I am miserable without it. :sadyup

My nursing degree and Forensic Nursing Certification was also very hard on me physically, but I pushed myself and got through it with flying colors.  I'm also back in school now, going for my Master's in Nursing.  I'd like to eventually become a Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Anesthetist.

I also ran track in Junior High, and played Basketball throughout Middle, Junior, and some of High school.  I've also acted in many plays and sang in font of crowds.  :)

I love to snorkel, and want to get SCUBA certified soon.  I also love to Jet-ski and kayak.

Like I said, it's not extremely physical stuff, but they are accomplishments and some sports, nonetheless.   :dunno

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 02:40:06 AM »
Wow Danielle,

You are an inspiration for thals.  I hope to raise my son to be like you, to live a fullfilling life!  As a parent of a young thal, it is so nice to see a beautiful, active, courageous and well balanced person like you. 

Sharmin :stars
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk