Sibling match percentage - Poll

• 4 Replies
Sibling match percentage - Poll
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:37 PM »
Poll to get the real life figure for sibling match from the people on this website. We have been hearing 20%, 25%. Let see how much we get

Re: Sibling match percentage - Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
Common folks i have around 400 reads on this poll and only 2 responses. This poll is not only for me, its for everyone trying to find answers on thalpal :)

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:00:02 AM »
Isn't it 1/4? I remember seeing a graphic about this at a conference of the chances a sibling will be a match. That number also matches with your current numbers (20% - 25%)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
For two beta thal carriers, yes there is a 25% chance that a child would be a major. Real life experience can vary greatly, as life does not give a damn about the odds, hence families with 3 children who are all thal major.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline zahra

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 04:38:35 AM »
Maybe I am wrong but I feel like this question isnt about chances of having thal kids being thal minor parents but about chances of finding a sibling that matches for bone marrow transplant.
Initially we were recommended PGD  with  IVF but the expert said the chances of a healthy ( non thal) child are good but matching sibling is chance. You could have 20 siblings and none of them match or one only and they match.
That said with the new haplo transplants you only need a 50% match. All parents and children are 50% matches. Siblings may have a higher percentage of matching. Amazingly haplo transplants have less GVHD too. My son had a 50% haplo BMT from his brother 3 years ago and is doing well with no GVHD. I look forward to when haplo transplants are available everywhere bc nearly everyone will have a match then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk