Help with Lab Results

• 3 Replies
Help with Lab Results
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »
Hi!   I've just joined and am grateful to be a part of this forum.

I am 55 years old, in menopause, and need some help with my lab results:

Vitamin D:          51.6 ng/mL    [30.0 -- 100.00]

WBC:                   5.9  x10E3/uL   [3.4 --10.8]
RBC:                    5.63  x10E6/uL   [3.77 --5.28]
Hemoglobin:        16.0   g/dL   [11.1 -- 15.9]
Hematocrit:          47.3   %         [34.0 --  46.6]

MCV:                   84.0  f/L     [79 -- 97]
MCH:                   28.4  pg     [26.6 -- 33.0]
MCHC:                 33.8  g/dL   [31.5 --  35.7]

RDW:                   16.0    %     [12.3 -- 15.4]

Hgb Frac. Profile:      Hgb Solubility:    Negative
                               Hgb F:      0.0
                               Hgb A:    97.7
                               Hgb S:      0.0
                               Hgb C:      0.0
                               Hgb A2:    2.3

Iron:      TIBC:    323 ug/dL   [250 -- 450]
             UIBC:    220 ug/dL   [131 -- 425]
              Iron:     103 ug/dL  [ 27 -- 159]
        Iron Sat:       32  %       [15 --  55]
  Ferritin, Serum:  221 ng/mL  [15 -- 150]
  Transferrin:        263 mg/dL  [200 -- 370]

I'd appreciate any help and advice Andy or other forum members could provide.

Thanks very much, I have found the site enlightening and positive,

Cheers,
CrabApple

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:47:48 PM by CrabApple2018 »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Help with Lab Results
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
Hi Crab Apple,

The results don't look like thal minor. The only unusual thing is the high RBC, which is high in thal minors. The rest all look good, including the iron numbers. The electrophoresis looks normal, with low HbA2 and no HbF, the MCV and MCH are normal, as is the Hb level. The vitamin D level is good, as well. If there is any thal involved, it would have to be a silent beta, like Lepore or a single gene alpha thal. Were there any notes about microcytosis attached to the electrophoresis report?
                               Hgb F:      0.0
                               Hgb A:    97.7
                               Hgb S:      0.0
                               Hgb C:      0.0
                               Hgb A2:    2.3
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:39:25 AM »
Hi Andy--

Thanks for your reply... hope you're feeling better.

My electrophoresis report said:  "Normal adult hemoglobin present".... but I also understand that there are more sensitive tests: HPLC that might be able to clarify "hidden" hemoglobin abnormalities.

I collated all my lab reports from about 2010 to present:  All lab results indicated High RBC.  I don't know what this means.

I am trying to figure this stuff out not just for me, but also for my daughter.  I worry about her future/and possible pregnancies.  I had three pregnancies: one miscarriage, one live birth, and one ectopic pregnancy.  I also had pre-eclampsia with my daughter. 

I don't think anything is severely wrong with my blood, but I do suspect a minor issue.  I have a handful of "minor" issues that if not dealt with can collectively cause bigger issues:

--Partial Biotinidase Deficiency (easily remedied with extra biotin)

--a Calcium Channelopathy (common in many people with autism).... Interestingly, these calcium channelopathies often lead to an overload of iron, and Calcium-Channel-Blockers (like Verapamil and Amlodipine) are being used very effectively in both adults and children to lower both calcium and iron.
              Biometals. 2012 Jun;25(3):563-8. doi: 10.1007/s10534-012-9536-8. Epub 2012 Mar 13.
              Calcium channel blocker use and serum ferritin in adults with hypertension.
              Mainous AG 3rd1, Weinberg ED, Diaz VA, Johnson SP, Hulihan MM, Grant AM.

--I was recently prescribed Amlodipine (CCB) for sky-high blood pressure, and it was immediately effective.  I have been feeling so great on this med.  I am fairly sure it is controlling my not just my calcium levels, but possibly my iron as well.  The above tests results were taken after about a month on Amlodipine. 

I wonder how all these little genetic abnormalities are interacting.  I need to find a very good, curious doctor who can make sense of all these little snps:

Just for example,

I have one HBBP1 gene snp:  rs2071348 (C;C) that is associated with mild beta-thalassemia.             
             Hemoglobin. 2012;36(5):433-45.
             A single nucleotide polymorphism in the HBBP1 gene in the human β-globin locus is associated with a mild β-thalassemia disease
             phenotype.
             Giannopoulou E1, Bartsakoulia M, Tafrali C, Kourakli A, Poulas K, Stavrou EF, Papachatzopoulou A, Georgitsi M, Patrinos GP.

I have another TMPRSS6 gene snp:  rs855791 (T;T) that is linked to lower hemoglobin.
              Int J Med Sci. 2014 Apr 16;11(6):614-9. doi: 10.7150/ijms.8582. eCollection 2014.
              rs855791 polymorphism influences the susceptibility to iron deficiency anemia in women at reproductive age.
              Pei SN1, Ma MC2, You HL3, Fu HC4, Kuo CY2, Rau KM5, Wang MC5, Lee CT6.

And other snps linked to Persistent Fetal Hemoglobin issues.

I wonder how my Calcium channelopathies interact with all the above snps:
http://www.autismcalciumchannelopathy.com/pdf%20files/autismcachannelopathyPart2.pdf

Andy, thanks for letting me think this out in writing. 

Cheers,
Crabapple

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »
Thal minors normally have higher than normal RBC readings because they produce more red blood cells than non-thals. Many of these are defective and that is why the output is higher, as the body tries to compensate by producing more RBC's.

I think you're discovering that genes interact and what may be a mild beta thal genotype may be affected by other genes. It is not easy to find doctors who understand these interactions.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk