Pregnancy and Exercise for Thal minor

• 2 Replies

Offline hellokelli

Pregnancy and Exercise for Thal minor
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
I am on my second pregnancy and a thal minor.  With my first I had transfusions more or less every other week once I got half way through the pregnancy.  I was so tired I stopped exercising all together.  However, with this pregnancy, I have been strength training/weightlifting before the pregnancy.  I had battled with exercise and with my cardiovascular capabilities for a long time and only recently found that lifting heavy weights at a slow pace is perfect for me.  It has helped me so much with back pain and with my energy levels.  And so far I have found that when I am feeling nausea and fatigue, going to the gym actually sorta resets me and gives me a boost of energy.  So, my question is - do you think lifting heavy will pull too much oxygen away from the baby and to my muscles? 

I've done research on what the general pregnancy recommendations are, and the concesus seems to be that if you were lifting before the pregnancy you can continue during the pregnancy.  I just want to make sure being a thal minor doesn't affect that.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Pregnancy and Exercise for Thal minor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12965094
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003 Sep 22;110 Suppl 1:S80-5.
The effects of maternal exercise on fetal oxygenation and feto-placental growth.
Clapp JF 3rd1.
Author information
Abstract
Sustained bouts of maternal exercise during pregnancy cause an acute reduction in oxygen and nutrient delivery to the placental site. The decreased flow also initiates a slight fall in intervillous and fetal pO2 which initiates a fetal sympathetic response. This, coupled with hemoconcentration and improved placental perfusion balance, maintains fetal tissue perfusion and oxygen uptake. Exercise training during pregnancy (regular bouts of sustained exercise) increases resting maternal (and perhaps fetal) plasma volume, intervillous space blood volume, cardiac output and placental function. These changes buffer the acute reductions in oxygen and nutrient delivery during exercise and probably increase 24 h nutrient delivery to the placental site. Thus, the effect of any given exercise regimen on fetal growth and size at birth is dependent on the type, frequency, intensity and duration of the exercise as well as the time point in the pregnancy when the exercise is performed. Maternal carbohydrate intake is yet another modifying factor. Beginning a moderate exercise regimen increases both anatomic markers of placental function and size at birth while maintaining a rigorous exercise regimen throughout pregnancy selectively reduces growth of the fetal fat organ and size at birth. Likewise, decreasing exercise performance in late-pregnancy increases size at birth while increasing exercise performance decreases it. Finally, the infants born of exercising women who eat carbohydrates which elevate 24 h blood glucose levels are large at birth irrespective of exercise performance.

PMID: 12965094
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline hellokelli

Re: Pregnancy and Exercise for Thal minor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:39 AM »
Thank you Andy!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk