Legs hurt and headaches

• 3 Replies

Offline MomI

Legs hurt and headaches
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »
Hello,
My daughter who is 6 years of age now, has Thal Major. Recently I have noticed she doesn’t run normally during soccer practice. She runs as if she has a limp and lags behind everyone. Also, now she complains a lot that her legs hurt. She even has us carry her when she walks a little. I am worried what this might mean. Does anyone have any idea or experience with this? Also, is there anything that can be done to help her? I know if I tell the doctor she will need to do a lot of scans. I would do that as a last resort.
Also, she has been complaining of headaches as well. More on the top back area. Please advise. Thank you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Legs hurt and headaches
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
From what you told me in the PM, I think her Hb needs to be kept higher to provide for proper bone growth and development. The Hb should not be allowed to drop below 9 before transfusing.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »
What happens when the Hb drops below 9, Andy?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »
The lower the Hb, the more the bone marrow tries to produce its own red blood cells. This serves mostly to expand the bones and cause them to weaken. Low Hb interferes with all physical development. Most doctors now advise that the Hb be kept above 9.5-10. This also helps to keep the spleen from enlarging.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk