E/Beta Thalassemia

• 8 Replies
E/Beta Thalassemia
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Hi friends. I am from Bangladesh,  and new to this forum.

Very recent my 18 moth baby (girl)  falls sick ( Fever and cold) my doctor suggest me to test CBC test.  In this test her Hb found 8.3g/dl. then the doctor  suggest me to test Hb electrophoresis. We  just knew that she is patient with HBE Beta Thalassemia. my doctor said to us we have to start transfusion. Although she is fully active . No symptoms are visible. I am providing below his blood report .

Hb electrophoresis

Hb A = 5%
Hb F =49.4%
HB E= 42.1%
Hb A2 = 3.5%

Hb         8.3 g/dl
RBC      4.17 mill/cumm
MCV      59.7fl
mchh     19.2pg
rdw        27.9%
WBC      11950/Cmm
Platelate  411000/Cmm

Ferritin   171.71 ng/ml
S Billirubin  1.1mg/dl

1. Is he Thalassemia Major or Intermedia?
2. Is it essential to required transfusion ?
3. Can she lead normal life?
4. Have any natural treatment to increase HB level but without having iron.

Please give me some advice. She is our only kid, we are now feeling helpless and  her mother has sick to know it.
Since He is our only kid, we are now feeling helpless.

Regards,
Md. Abdul Hakim

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:03:50 PM by Md. Abdul Hakim »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: E/Beta Thalassemia
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:33:14 PM »
It may be premature to recommend transfusion. The presence of some HbA in the electrophoresis shows that the beta thal is a beta+. If it was a beta zero mutation, there would be no HbA observed. Because it is beta+ and the child's Hb is still above the 7-8 range, transfusion would be optional at this age, unless it is demonstrated that growth and development are seriously affected. She may have a more intermedia than major condition, and time will tell, but right now, I wouldn't agree that transfusion is necessary. Because HbE beta thal manifests at different ages in different patients, it is often best to wait and see if it stays as it is now, or if the Hb continues to drop lower.

I would suggest that you give her L-methylfolate (not folic acid) and that you encourage a healthy diet, with fresh fruits and vegetables, especially green vegetables. Have her Hb checked periodically to see if it is stable. If it does continue to drop, the question of transfusion can be revisited. There can be differences between depending on the specific beta+ mutation, so I would say at this young age, it can't be predicted how it will go. A DNA analysis that tells you the specific mutation may help, but for now, as long as she is healthy, I would not suggest transfusion.

Either way, she can lead a normal life. If she does eventually require transfusion, she may be able to use a new drug, Luspatercept that should be available in the next two years. This drug increases Hb level and will most likely free many intermedia patients from transfusions. This should become available within the next two years and will have the ability to affect treatment for most patients who require transfusions.
And, transfusing patients already do lead normal lives. Compliance with the transfusion/chelation routine is required for transfusing patients, but this does enable them to go about normal lives.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »
Thanks Andy Sir.
You are great.  You are  an Angel  of many thal family.   

A.Hakim

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »
Dear Andy
could you tell me please what is the doses of L-methylfolate?

Md. Abdul Hakim

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 07:12:23 PM »
At this young age, 200-400 mcg of Folate would suffice.
Andy

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
Dear Andy
I don't get L-Methail Folate but have got only methaile Folate instead of L- Methaile Folate .
Could I use Methaile Folate for my two years baby? 
Is L-Methail Folate and Methail Folate same?

Regarding
Md. Abdul Hakim

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
They're the same thing.
Andy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
Dear Andy sir
My daughter age is now four.
we are decided to do  BMT . But we don't fiend HLA match donor. My wife brother HLA sample is Half matched (5/10 ) but my 2nd baby(sibling little sister of ZARA) HLA is not matched(0/10). How is it possible?
Dear Andy sir could you please explain:
1. Is it  possible to 100% mismatch with her sibling(little sister)?
2. ZARA has completed 13th Transfusion last month. She have to get one transfusion per month so that maintain Hb level at 9 g/dl. After Blood transfusion she often got high fiver within 6 to 12 hours(some time 103.5 to 4.0
  • [/F] even though I used wash blood and leukocyte filter.
    Why does it happen? and How can I relief from it ?
    My daughters HLA test report are attached below  :

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 07:48:14 PM »
I don't see how it's possible for a biological sister to be a zero match. Matched unrelated donors may be the best avenue to proceed.
Is anything given to the daughter before transfusion, like Benadryl? It may reduce the reaction. Closer matching of the transfused blood may also help.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk