• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    May 13, 2021, 03:33:04 PM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andythalpal@yahoo.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal thalpal.com © A. Battaglia 2021

55477 Posts in 5941 Topics by 6282 Members
Latest Member: Shane20

Forum Tip: 
You can now simply type thalpal.com into your browser and it will take you to this site. Tell your friends about this easy-to-remember name.
www.thalpal.com
« previous next »
Pages: « 1 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My quest to reduce ferritin  (Read 4302 times)
Melissa A Tan

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »

Someone also shared that zeolite helped with reducing her ferritin level.

[Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 12:51:25 AM »

Quercetin has been mentioned in the context of covid and it is suggested that it might block certain actions of the virus, especially when taken with vitamin C, which helps to recycle quercetin in the body.

You can see more at https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-supplements-for-covid-19-quercetin-emerging-as-an-adjuvant-for-covid-19-treatments

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Melissa A Tan

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 10:34:09 AM »

Thank you for the added information on Quercetin and Covid, Andy.

[Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
TonyF

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 04:52:00 PM »

Mart,
Did you redo your lab results after the supplementation? Would be interesting to see.

I have beta thal and take a bunch of supplements, but honestly if i had 700 ferritin i would not wait and hope all the supplements and tea/coffee etc work, i would just go and donate blood every 60 days if you are feeling in good shape generally.
Definitely avoid vitamin C with red meat.

Most mainstream docs see high ferritin as fine until 1000 as you say, but there's a lot of new info that says Ferritin over say 150 can be problematic long term. High F can also be caused if you have a lot of inflammation too though caused by something else.
I try to keep mine under 100.

Slade

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 11:46:31 PM »

Hello TonyF,

Yes, I checked my blood about 3 weeks ago and it would be an understatement to say that the results were discouraging. My ferritin just won't bulge - it measured 730 but what's even worse is that serum iron was 24,6 µmol/L which is probably the highest result I've got so far. On top of that I've got elevated phosphates which made me stop taking the supplements immediately. I need to check my kidneys before I even think of taking any of them again.
I can't argue that high iron (and ferritin) is a bad thing. God knows how much damage it does to my cells and is probably the cause why my body's aging so fast.
Regarding blood donation - I gave it a lot of thought but I'm afraid it may worsen my anemia because my Hb is constantly below limits. They may not even allow me to donate if they check it.
My hematologist doesn't approve therapeutic phlebotomy as a treatment for ferritin either which means I can't get this. So what choice have I got - a DIY blood-letting? Sounds a bit suicidal...    But joking aside, any advice is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:58:38 PM by Slade » Logged

Hb Lepore variant
TonyF

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 09:53:31 PM »

Slade,
I definitely would NOT advise a DIY phlebotomy you could damage a nerve, maybe you could find a nurse.

How low is your HB? Might is always around 13. The blood donation level is usually 13. Interestingly HB is usually higher in the morning than later in the day, so i donate in the morning so they don't disqualify me for 60 days lol. That was super happy when i discovered that information.

Any how good luck and report back if you make some progress.

Slade

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »

TonyF,

Unfortunately my hemoglobin is about 12,6 lately. You can't donate if you're under 13,5 and you have to be interviewed by a medic before that (quite possible to notice my pale skin and yellowish sclera).
Even if I get to trick them once or twice what good it will do me?
I asked the doctors for chelation treatment with Exjade or Desferal but they deferred it saying I need to have at least а four-figure ferritin plus an evidence for build up of iron in my organs (i.e on a Ferriscan, etc.)

Hb Lepore variant
Slade

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 10:40:32 PM »

I've got some good news regarding my ferritin - it has dropped from 730 to 611 in just 6 weeks! Serum iron has also dropped from 24,6 ot 18 µmol/L and Hb raised from 12,6 to 13,5.
What did I do to achieve this? Absolutely nothing except I stopped taking the supplements.
I have a theory which may explain why this happened - when I got tested the previous time I didn't feel so well and I think I had an episode of more intense hemolysis at that time. I think that when hemolysis is intense a lot of iron is released and this causes the numbers to go up. Later on things get better, new red blood cells are being produced with the existing iron and ferritin drops a little bit. What I can't explain to myself is how I got such high ferritin in the first place. I guess when Hb drops the body thinks it's getting iron deficient and increases absorption from food. I wonder if it's a good idea to switch to a vegetarian diet when I notice signs of more intense hemolysis? Maybe I'll try that next - it may not work but it won't harm I think.

Hb Lepore variant
Melissa A Tan

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 05:53:13 AM »

Yay Mart! Good to know that you managed to reduce your ferritin.

Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 09:35:10 PM »

Slade, is there a possibility that the higher ferritin is a result of inflammation or infection in your body? This is a common cause of higher ferritin.

Andy

Slade

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 11:30:55 PM »

Hello Andy,

Yes, it's quite possible but I'm unable to identify it. The gastroenterologist made a thorough ultrasound and elastography exam on my liver and also asked me to test for hepatitis B & C (both came back negative). He said the liver was OK but nevertheless asked me to stop drinking alcohol for 6 months and recheck - there was no change. I visited an endocrinologist to check my thyroid and test the hormones but everything was normal as well. Routine blood work and CRP are unremarkable.
When I tested my ferritin for the first time in 2013 it was around 600 and hasn't dropped since. I assume if there was some underlying inflammatory condition it would have developed or advanced by now. I'm a bit lost and would like some advice.

Hb Lepore variant
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 08:54:35 PM »

Slade,
Have you had any other iron tests that would help determine your true iron status? Serum iron and TIBC would be helpful.

Andy

Pages: « 1 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: