Thalassemia, Malaria and Viruses

• 2 Replies
Thalassemia, Malaria and Viruses
« on: October 04, 2020, 07:51:54 PM »
Wonder about issues in relation to thalassemia:

As thalassemia occurs in countries where malaria is/was endemic, and anti-malarial drugs are somewhat effective against certain viruses, how does that potentially relate to those of us who have thalassemia (any form)?

A. Are anti-malarial drugs/herbs beneficial and/or safe for people with  thalassemia? Specifically HCQ, artemisia, tonic water?

B. Are people with thalassemia protected to any extent from the virus?

C. Following several viral infections during the past 7 months I have relatively suddenly developed body-wide joint inflammation and sharp pain, (and one grandchild developed autoimmune type 1 diabetes) and I am wondering if thal b trait plus viral infections can contribute to these conditions. If It turns out to be rheumatoid arthritis, for which HCL is a standard treatment, would that be contraindicated because of my Thal B trait?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia, Malaria and Viruses
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:08:11 PM »
A. Thalassemics do get malaria and are treated as anyone else. They are less likely to die from malaria, as the virus does not thrive in their systems, most likely due to the thal blood character.

B. Thals from minor to major do have some protection are are less likely to get as sick when they do get malaria. The resistance is what the malaria zones in the world also have high percentages of thal carries. Thal carriers are far less likely to die from malaria and can pass their genes on.

C. The joint and body pain seems to be caused by your virus exposure, but it's difficult to say if thal makes that more likely. I do hear much anecdotal evidence that thals often have autoimmune disorders, but so does the general public, so it's hard to say it's due to thal.  Thal trait should not interfere with your ability to use therapeutic drugs, except when they contain a sulfur compound. It's best to check online (you can usually see the molecular makeup on Wikipedia) before starting any new med to screen for sulfur drugs. Sulfur can cause sudden hemolysis in many minors and cause the hemoglobin level to suddenly drop.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Thalassemia, Malaria and Viruses
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 02:22:58 AM »
Good info and advice, I was clueless about sulfur drugs. Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk