COVID-19 vaccine

• 12 Replies

Offline urja

COVID-19 vaccine
« on: March 26, 2021, 07:25:59 AM »
Hi friends,
Just wondering if all Thals ( minor, major & intermedia ) can safely take the COVID-19 vaccine without any unusual side effects?
There’s not any information on this as far as I know. Pls share whatever you know
Thanks
Urja

Re: COVID-19 vaccine
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:42:33 PM »
I have Alpha minor. I had the Pfizer vaccine. After the first shot, after about 4-5 hours I developed a bad backache, just my entire back, and was groggy for the entire next day. After the 2nd shot, I felt fine until about 12 hours later. Then I got a low fever (100), chills, and body aches. I took ibuprofen and felt much better, so I thought that was it. About 6 hours after that, I got a fever again with chills and body aches, this time the fever was between 100-102, plus fatigue. This lasted for a day, then the symptoms lessened. But for a good 4-5 days, I had a fever that bounced up and down between 99-101 and flu-like symptoms (nothing respiratory) and still the fatigue. I don't know anyone else with Alpha thal who has gotten the Pfizer. My dad, who is 83 with Alpha thal, got Moderna and had no symptoms other than some soreness, maybe a little fatigue but no flu symptoms.

Offline urja

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »
Thank you for your reply Riahop. I am still confused and gravitating towards delaying the vaccine. I’m intermedia with alpha triplication & an Hb of 7.6.
Have no confirmation from medical community and Thalassaemia federations across the globe .... 8th May being International Thalassaemia Day hopeful that someone may throw more light on this.
Thank you for your information.
God bless

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 05:58:56 AM »
Hi Team,

Can we have further information on this?

how can we able to give vaccines to our thal kids especially in India where hearing many side effects of vaccines to adults.

Kindly share any valuable experience

Best Regards
Nitin Arora

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 07:39:59 PM »
thank you @urja for sharing your experience.

I wrote on your other post too.
It would be great if everybody share their stories. So we can have data for other patient who in suspicion.

Which type thal you have?
How was your health condition when you've vaccinated?
Which vaccine you've have you taken?
Side effects?

Please share with us ..

Knowledge is power..

Offline Slade

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 07:57:45 PM »
Maybe we should start asking our GPs and hematologists about the adverse events reported by their thal patients. They should have this information first-hand.
It would be great if anyone has already done this and can share the information.
Hb Lepore variant

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 09:39:11 AM »
Hi Friends,

My mother who is 69 years old Alpha minor, got AstraZeneca (Covishield) vaccine with only 60+ can get this kinds of Vaccine in my country. After got the first shot, she felt fine but alittle hot and thirsty until about 9 hours later developed fever about 38° C , then took Doliprane 500g and felt much better. About 6 hours after that, she got a fever again with chills, then took another Doliprane 500g after that felt fine and no other symptoms. Then after 2 months, She just got 2nd shot about 3 days ago with no fever just get alittle pain around the shot area.

About my brother who is 38 years old Alpha minor, got Sinopharm vaccine. After got the first shot, 6 hours later developed alittle headaches and sore around the arm. Two days later got a little fatigue and sleepy. 2 week later got 2nd shot with no symptoms, but a little fatigue.

As for me who is 33 years old Alpha Thalassemia Intermedia(HbH) with Hb 7.5 until now haven't got any Covid Vaccine yet. As for my country I live, only have Sinopharm and Sinovac Vaccine for 18+, but I asked my family doctor, she not recommended  me to get vaccine because I am Alpha Intermedia with low Hb 7-8. Then I asked why my brother and mother can get the Vaccine, She then said that because their Hb is normal. Hmm still wait and see for the News that All Thalassemia Patients especially ( intermedia and major ) can get Covid Vaccine without worry
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 02:06:22 PM by Nanami »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 03:48:47 PM »
I have to report that a thal major friend of mine who is in his 30's has heart inflammation after taking the first Pfizer injection. A clear case of cause and effect in one who has never had any heart problems previously.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 03:30:56 PM »
Andy, So sorry to hear that..
I hope your friend get well soon 🙏

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
I'm a 34 yrs old, Beta Thal minor and took pfizer-1st jab. I did not have any side effects other than just a mild chill. Waiting for the 2nd jab.

Note: I frequently drink water boiled with Lemon Grass, Ginger, blackPepper, Coriander seeds and lemon with Honey.

So I feel its helping my body from other cold related symptoms..Hope it helps to others as well.

Offline Slade

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:58:23 PM »
With this delta wave approaching fast I'm considering a vaccine shot. However, I'm really anxious about those heart inflammation side effects.
The EMA investigated 145 cases of myocarditis and 138 cases of pericarditis in Europe after the Pfizer shot (per 177 million doses by 1st of June). Some cases were also reported after a Moderna shot.
This is from EMA website: "The Committee (PRAC) concluded that the cases primarily occurred within 14 days after vaccination, more often after the second dose and in younger adult men. In five cases that occurred in the EEA, people died. They were either of advanced age or had concomitant diseases. Available data suggest that the course of myocarditis and pericarditis following vaccination is similar to the typical course of these conditions, usually improving with rest or treatment."

Andy, how's your friend now? Is he better or worse?
Hb Lepore variant

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 12:27:31 PM »
Update about my 38 years old brother who is Alpha Thalassemia minor, just got his 3rd dose of AstraZeneca vaccine yesterday ( 1st and 2nd doses are Sinopharm). The date between 1st to 3rd dose is 5 month. Yesterday after got his 3rd shot, about 10 hours later got fever about 37-38, a little chill, severe headache and leg pain, toke doliprane 1000mg . Now still fever about 37-38 and leg pain.

About me who is Alpha Thalassemia intermedia ( Hb 7-8 )until now haven’t got COVID Vaccine.

Offline Slade

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 09:41:32 PM »
I decided to get the vaccine. After both jabs (Pfizer) I only got some pain in my shoulder and a little tiredness which lasted 1-2 days.
I haven't tested for antibodies yet but I hope there will be enough to confer some protection against the delta strain which is ravaging the country right now.
Hb Lepore variant

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk