should blood tests change after sustained supplementation ?

• 1 Replies
should blood tests change after sustained supplementation ?
« on: January 29, 2022, 03:20:05 PM »
Just a question for anyone who has seen improvements with supplements.

Are our blood tests supposed to improve with supplementation? I understand hemoglobin may increase depending on supplementation, diet etc. but would we expect tests such as MCV, RDW, RBC etc to change if we are feeling better after sustained use of things like folate, that specifically help the development of red blood cells

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: should blood tests change after sustained supplementation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 10:49:05 PM »
David Clay,
You won't see much change in certain blood attributes, such as MCV, MCH and RBC. RDW can change according to iron levels and will be high in iron deficiency, which can occur in thal minors. Where you will see changes is in testing for specific nutrients like minerals and vitamins. I started seeing a holistic MD this past year and he tests for many nutrients. I was really happy to see that some of the things that someone like me is often low in with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, were at good levels, due to my supplementation. Although even with a high B-12 of over 2000, it had no effect on my high MCV, which is related to my underactive thyroid. I can follow a nutrient like vitamin D and see it drop more than 15 points in one month when summer was over, but then go back up 6 points as I made an increase in my dose of D during the week. The problem with the values like MCV and RBC is that there is a direct connection to thalassemia and won't budge much. If MCV is lower than normal for a thal, it might rise to normal for a minor with added folate.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk