Multi Vitamin (Without Iron) For Thal(Major)

• 6 Replies

Offline Narendra

Multi Vitamin (Without Iron) For Thal(Major)
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:30:34 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a multi vitamin for Thal(Major). Obviously, which does NOT contain Iron. I know Thal(Major) need Folic Acid, but is there a specific Multi Vitamin Thal(Major)'s use?

Also, I would more likely want to know if there is one for a child(pediatric). The child is 2 years and receiving blood transfusion since last year and half.

-Narendra

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Multi Vitamin (Without Iron) For Thal(Major)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »
Hi Narendra

My child is using the Kiddi Pharmaton. It is a very good one , it is made in Swizerland, but also sold in the USA. It does not contain iron or vitamin C

Hope this helps

Manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
There is a famous multi vitimin here in Pakistan by the brand of Vi-Daylin.

http://www.abbott.com.pk/vidaylin.htm

I know that the one with the name of Vi-Daylin-L is good and does not contain Iron. For grownups use the Vi-Daylin-T (for teens) Tablets which also don't contain Iron.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:52:24 PM »
Hi Narendra

When Amita was pregnant, she did not take pre-natal vitamins. We just went to our local pharmacy and got mulit-vitamins without iron.

Regards
Bharat

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »
Most vitamin companies make multi vitamins without iron. Here's one well suited for kids. No iron and only a small amount of vitamin C. 
http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=552F026887974D62BA584303C2C279A3&CID=67&CPID=8379&PID=5516

The only caution with kids vitamins is to keep them out of the reach of children as they make them so yummy now that many kids will want to eat them like candy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:15 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Along with Iron, is Vitamin C also NOT good for Thal(Major)? My niece is on Kelfer since June 2006 and I want to send some multi vitamins for her.

-Narendra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
All thals should get a small dose of vitamin C daily. The problem arises when the dosage becomes high. It is recommended that adult thals take 100-250 mg maximum of vitamin C daily. For a child, a small dose like 15 mg is perfectly safe. For reference, a non-thal such as myself can easily take 5 grams. Yes grams, of C daily. I take 5-6 grams daily split in to two doses daily. Vitamin C is water soluble and is washed out of the body within 12 hours so I take two doses daily. I am a great believer in Vitamin C as was the Nobel prize winning Linus Pauling who lived well into his 90's. I feel it is a shame that thals are limited in their intake as it could do so much good if it didn't also bind iron. Many thals are actually deficient in C. The best thing for thals to do with C is to take in between meals so it does not aid in the absorption of iron from the meal. The same is said of citrus fruits. They are a great food but please eat them between meals as a snack to avoid binding iron from your other foods.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk