action. [Free Radical Biology Medicine, Volume 8, 1990; Journal
Biological Chemistry, August 25, 1987] IP6 has been found to have
similar | iron-chelating properties as desferrioxamine, a drug
commonly used to kill germs, tumor cells or to remove undesirable minerals from
the body. [Biochemistry Journal, September 15, 1993] IP6 rice bran
extract (2000-4000 mg) should be taken in between meals with filtered
or bottled water only (no juice).[/
shadow]

Has anybody used IP6 for Iron Chelation?

Following sites indicates that it is a natural Iron Chelator

http://www.webvitamins.com/Nutrient.aspx?id=963

Mishra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Phytic acid (IP6) as natural Iron Chelator
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
Hi Mishra and welcome to the group,

A quick search finds plenty of articles about inositol hexaphosphate, or IP6, and the iron chelating properties are often mentioned. It has been mentioned as a possible weapon against cancer because it inhibits iron in tumors. It has been studied and there is some evidence that it does bind iron. To what extent and whether this could be useful to thals, I don't know, but inositol hexaphosphate is a very safe supplement, even in high doses, if anyone wants to try it out. I saw it for sale online in the US at rather low prices and I cannot think of a single reason why anyone shouldn't try it and see if it has any effect in lowering iron in their bodies.

From http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1134551

We conclude that the 1,2,3 (equatorial-axial-equatorial) phosphate grouping in InsP6 has a conformation that uniquely provides a specific interaction with iron to inhibit totally its ability to catalyse hydroxyl radical formation; we suggest that a physiological function of InsP6 might be to act as a 'safe' binding site for iron during its transport through the cytosol or cellular organelles.

To understand what that means in thal, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9668540&dopt=Abstract

In thalassemia, iron overload is the joint outcome of excessive iron absorption and transfusional siderosis. While iron absorption is limited by a physiologic ceiling of about 3 mg/d, plasma iron turnover in thalassemia may be 10 to 15 times normal, caused by the wasteful, ineffective erythropoiesis of an enormously expanded erythroid marrow. This outpouring of catabolic iron exceeds the iron-binding capacity of transferrin and appears in plasma as non-transferrin-plasma iron (NTPI). The toxicity of NTPI is much higher than of transferrin-iron as judged by its ability to promote hydroxyl radical formation resulting in peroxidative damage to membrane lipids and proteins. In the heart, this results in impaired function of the mitochrondrial respiratory chain and abnormal energy metabolism manifested clinically in fatal hemosiderotic cardiomyopathy.

When you put all of this together, what it means is if this does work as observed, inositol hexaphosphate would help prevent the most serious damage caused to organs by iron. The question I have is how effective is it? Can it chelate a significant amount of iron? This a an inexpensive, easily found supplement made from grain and it is perfectly safe. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:21:28 PM by Andy »
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:35:16 AM »
Hi Mishra,

This is very interesting!!!

I found a site that says IP6 from Rice Bran chelates Iron:

http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com/report.asp?story=The%20IP6%20Rice%20Bran%20Cleanse&catagory=Chelation,%20IP6

IP6 cleanses heavy metals
IP6 attaches to heavy metals such as mercury, lead and cadmium, as well as loose iron, copper and calcium. [J Agriculture Food Chemistry 47: 4714-17, 999] IP6 is a selective chelator -- it does not attach to potassium, sodium or magnesium, important electrolyte minerals required for heart rhythm. IP6 does not remove calcium from bones or iron from red blood cells. Once chelated (attached), these excess minerals are excreted via the urinary tract. [Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 35:495-508, 1995]
IP6 cleanses the liver
About a third of American adults have a condition called fatty liver. IP6 has been demonstrated to be a remedy for fatty liver. [Anticancer Research 19: 3695-98, 1999]

The liver is an organ that stores iron. Since iron is a growth factor for bacteria, fungi and virsuses, removal of iron from the liver may inhibit scarring caused by hepatitis. [Am J Gastroenterology 99: 286-91, 2004] Iron-restricted diets protect against liver damage in cases of chronic hepatitis C infection. [Hepatogastroenterology. 2002 49:529-31, 2002]
Removal of iron from the liver by periodic consumption of IP6 rice bran extract may be advantageous in liver disease

I hope this stuff works!! :pray

Anyone who has access to this stuff, please investigate!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:41:16 AM »
Sajid,

What I like about this as opposed to some of the other things we've heard about recently is there is at least a small body of scientific evidence that suggests that inositol hexaphosphate, or IP6, binds iron and also prevents the formation of the radicals that are the most damaging to the heart. Being that it is a natural supplement I wouldn't expect to see overnight results but I would be very interested in the effects of long term regular use.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:54:45 AM »
Thank you friends for a very quick reply.

I purchased Cell forte with IP6 (Jerrows Formula) from Vitamin Shoppe.

I am collecting his Serrun Ferritin report today.

Will post effect of it after one month when I will go for next test.

Only I worry availability of IP6 in India.

Mishra

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:11:10 AM »
Yes Andy, you are absolutely right like always.

What I meant to say was that anyone that has access to it please look into this matter seriously and try it out at least.

Take care, Peace
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:25 AM »
For anyone with access to US mail order, Puritan.com has a sale going right now and you can get IP-6 INOSITOL HEXAPHOSPHATE Capsules at a pretty good price.

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=B7DB0B6671844B85B6D102CE568187FC&PID=602&CPID=&np=1

On their home page they also have a link to Resveratrol products. I'm sure the same products can be found at many online companies. Puritan does have good quality at reasonable prices.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
I am eager to try this with my son.  He is 8 years old, should it be safe (perhaps at a lower dose) to try with him?
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »
This is a natural supplement. It is extremely safe with no known side effects. In trials. no side effects were observed with a daily dosage of over 8 grams. That is a HUGE dose. I would not worry at all about the dosage.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 03:40:23 AM »
Has anyone been trying this?  How is that going and how has it affected your iron levels?
thanks!
Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »
Hi Sharmin,

Yes I started nearly 20 days back for my Son.

He is taking Kelfer from last 6 months and we have been monitoring his Ferritin.

Now he is taking normal dose of Kelfer as well as IP6 powder.

Now his skin is looking more fair as compared to 3 weeks back

We are planing to go for ferritin check within a week or two. And will post after results.

Regards

Mishra

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Now his skin is looking more fair as compared to 3 weeks back

Wow it means it is definitely working!

Looks like something that I can use! I was always told that my dark complexion is due to liver malfunction (and obviously Iron deposit).

Gotta find it somewhere in Pakistan!!!

Thanks for the update and looking forward for your son's SF result.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »
Thank you for your response Mishra.

Andy, what dose do you recommend for an 8 year old -he is 50lb in weight. 
Thanks,
Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 01:09:58 AM »
I would suggest that children start out with one capsule twice a day, for a total of two capsule per day. Remember that this is an extremely safe food product and no side effects were observed with very large doses.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 01:28:17 AM »
Thanks Andy, we just ordered the product online. 
I am eager to start using it. 
 :) Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk