New stem cell debate on cnn 1.11.07

• 16 Replies

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
New stem cell debate on cnn 1.11.07
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:11:27 PM »
House set to pass stem cell research bill
But legislation lacks enough votes to override expected Bush veto

WASHINGTON - Their ranks bolstered by the November elections, supporters of legislation boosting taxpayer-funded research on embryonic stem cells were poised to easily pass the bill again even though President Bush vetoed it last year.

The House was to pass the bill Thursday. But the vote was virtually certain to fall short of the two-thirds margin needed to override another Bush veto, vote counters on both sides of the issue said.

At stake was whether research on cells taken from human embryos - considered by scientists to be the most promising approach to developing potential treatments or cures for dozens of diseases - should be underwritten with taxpayer funds.

The debate raises passions since the research typically involves the destruction of frozen embryos created for in vitro fertilization, which ensures fierce opposition from anti-abortion lawmakers and like-minded constituents who believe their taxes should not fund such research.

"I simply believe it's morally wrong to create human life to destroy it for research," said GOP conservative Mike Pence of Indiana, echoing Bush's rationale for his veto in July. "This debate is not about whether research that involves the destruction of human embryos should be legal. This debate is about who pays for it."
'We're gaining on it'
Polls show most Americans support embryonic stem cell research, and Democrats say the issue played a big role in the Nov. 7 elections that returned their party to the majority in the House and Senate.

But in the House, Democratic gains of 30 seats don't translate into anywhere near that number of new votes for the embryonic stem cell research bill, sponsored by Reps. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., and Mike Castle, R-Del.

For starters, many Democratic freshman defeated more moderate Republicans who voted for the bill when it originally passed in 2005 and on an unsuccessful veto override attempt last year. And some Republicans who supported the bill have been replaced with opponents of the measure.

As a result, said Douglas Johnson, legislative director of the National Right to Life Committee, House embryonic stem cell research proponents have gained only about a dozen votes.

If every House member votes, it takes 290 votes to override a veto. Support reached a high-water mark of 238 in the prior GOP-controlled House.

"It will be difficult to get to 290 votes, but we're gaining on it," DeGette said.

Senate proponents of the research claim they now have enough votes to override a veto, but Johnson said that would require at least one senator who voted against it last year to change his or her vote.

Both the House and Senate have to override a veto for a bill to become law without a president's signature.

DeGette made her remarks at a news conference where she was surrounded by Democratic freshman who said the issue resonated in their campaigns. One of them, Rep. Jason Altmire, D-Pa., opposes abortion but said he would vote for the bill.

"I've seen the promise" of embryonic stem cell research, Altmire said. "There's no doubt in my mind that a vote for embryonic stem cell research is a pro-life vote."

Most promising evidence
The debate comes just days after new research reported that stem cells extracted harmlessly from the amniotic fluid that cushions a fetus in-utero hold much the same promise for disease-fighting as embryonic stem cells.

Scientists still say, however, say that embryonic stem cells so far are backed by the most promising evidence that one day they might be used to grow replacements for damaged tissue, such as new insulin-producing cells for diabetics or new nerve connections to restore movement after spinal injury.

The legislation would lift Bush's 2001 ban on federal dollars spent on deriving new stem cells from fertilized embryos. Bush's veto of the bill last year was the first veto of his presidency.

Embryonic stem cells are able to morph into any of the more than 220 cell types that make up the human body. They typically are culled from fertility-clinic leftovers otherwise destined to be thrown away. But because the culling kills the embryos, Bush on Aug. 9, 2001, restricted government funding to research using only the embryonic stem cell lines then in existence, groups of stem cells kept alive and propagating in lab dishes.

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: New stem cell debate on cnn 1.11.07
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:43:40 PM »
I still feel this is a totally bogus issue, used to garner votes from the uninformed or those who refuse to admit reality. The facts are that thousands of embryos that result from IV fertilization efforts are discarded every year. Yet, somehow the fool politicians are able to turn it into a political issue. The embryos are there whether you agree with it or not and will simply be discarded and never become human life. So why not move forward and use them to save lives and cure illness? Why throw them in the trash where they do no one any good.

I know this may infuriate those who feel that this is destroying human life but please get your heads out of the sand and face the reality that these embryos are DESTROYED anyway.

Stop allowing politicians to manipulate you. Please learn to think for yourselves! Ask yourself how our lovely president of the US can put up his false concern for embryos as he sends more young men and women off to their deaths in Iraq and also as he signed execution orders one after another in Texas. The man has not an ounce of respect for human life. He is using people to advance his own despicable agenda.

This will always remain the position of this group as long as Lisa's own beliefs are followed and as the protector of her legacy in this group I will always speak out for what she believed in.

Thank you.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Christine Mary

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
Well said Andy! Amen! :agree

Lauryn's Mom

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »
Andy i think we talk a bout that before me and you before few month a go  i think somthing crazy happened  :crazy realy i don't know what should i say now because what i don't understand why they mix health with politice? :huh ??? :dunno
                                                 khalifa
                                           state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
You're right Khalifa. The politicians should stay out of getting involved in determining medical research. Perhaps they should stick to what they do best...soliciting underage boys.  :rotfl
Andy

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:38 PM »
I think President Bush needs to get the hell out of office already.  :mad  That's the only way we'll ever have a cure, in my opinion.   :-\

Tons of embryos are thrown out every single day, and they aren't even being used for a good cause because of him.   :sadnope

Offline Christine Mary

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:19:17 PM »
Am I allowed to say.... BUCK FUSH?????

If not,I'm sorry Andy and Danielle!  :biggrin

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 10:22:41 PM »
 :agree    :rotfl
Andy

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:08 PM »
 :yeahthat   :happydance

Offline KHALIFA

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:37:32 PM »
Dear Danielle when i talked with Andy a bout this subgect i was realy angry  :mad  even i ask him to gie me the phone number for Bush to talk with him because we are not slave and he is not thye master to tell us what we do ......
         NOW AM REALY ANGRY  :mad
       i wish am amirican to go to Bush to talk with him and just to know why he refuse to do somthing good for these pPL... i don't know  :dunno ??? :huh
                                   all the best for good treatment for the thalassimic PpL
                                         khalifa
                                  state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline KHALIFA

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:49:35 PM »
 :bigparty :high5 :agree :exactly :yeahthat :stars :cheer :evilplan :bat :catfight
       but i don't know Andy ... can you protect me from the CIA and FPI ? :biggrin
                                :rotfl
 incase of emergency am not that person >> khalifa
                                                         state of kuwait
                                                                 LOL
RED_PILOT

Kathy11

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:29 PM »
Hi Andy ,
Good on you ,

My sentiment is the same, :agree
The man has not an ounce of respect for human life. He is using people to advance his own despicable agenda.your quote.

What a shame ,to humanity, I feel sad that many young soldiers and lots of civillians got kills for his benefits, and in returned this atrocious affairs, has brought a lots of families in desarray and misery.
 He  then  has the audicity to insult peoples' intelligent by talking about the sanctiny of lives.
 :mad : :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
Kathy

Offline KHALIFA

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:22:16 PM »
hi a gain
           i was looking and making some serch on the site i found out somthing .maybe it's regard a bout what we talk a bout  :dunno :huh
        http://www.house.gov/reform/min/politicsandscience
                                     khalifa
                             state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 08:47:05 AM »
More bad news :wah

President Bush faces a congressional challenge to his veto on the use of human embryos in stem cell research on Thursday.

But the pro-research lobby in the House of Representatives looks set to fall short of the two thirds majority it needs to override the Presidential veto.

:grrr I wish they could convince more members to override the veto before it's too late!

Take care, Peace!

اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 08:52:45 AM »
I HATE BUSH!  :hissyfit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk