stunted growth?????

• 5 Replies

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
stunted growth?????
« on: January 15, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
hi all,  :wavey

my question is about height and weight.  my 4 yr old starts iron chelation soon and im basically wondering (without sounding rude) are transfused thals and sickle cell shorter than average due to the excess iron.  I am a tall female 5'11 and my son was always tall and still above average for the moment.  but will he start to grow at a slower rate due to the excess iron????  he is also very skinny, its very hard for him to put on weight.

cheers
 vic

Re: stunted growth?????
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »
Hello,

I have seen kids with normal height and weight with Thal Major. I think it is all heridity based and iron may have a little role to play in it; but on the other hand I have read some posts from members saying their height and weight may have been compromised. May be some insight from experienced members will be useful.

Regards
Regards.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »
Dear vic
    i have same problem with my son the Dr tolled me one day the thalass. pPL effected by this disease.. and the effect will be on the bones and the waight ..in this case your Dr must contact the other spicialest Dr who is know verey well in the Hormone to find out the crowth hormon..
                                khalifa
                        state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:18 PM »
My 8 year old son has been chelated since 18 months.  He is 50th percentile for height and weight.  If there has been any affects of iron or chelation (I have heard that desferal can have some affect), they must have been marginal because he looks normal for his age.    I hope that helps.
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:37:52 PM »
If transfusions are begun as soon as the Hb level demands it, and they are kept up regularly so that the Hb does not drop low, and chelation also begins as soon as needed so that iron damage does not occur in the pituitary gland, growth should be normal or very close to it.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »
thanks andy,
since birth he has always been in the 97% percantile so i will keep an eye on his growth and see if the iron is having an impact.  but what you told me sure is good news.  i will definitely be compliant with the chelation so he can continue to thrive,

cheers
vic  :biggrin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk