early menopause in Thal Major

• 4 Replies

Offline Nur

early menopause in Thal Major
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:12:06 AM »
Hi all,

Lately i have noticed some changes in my lifestyle that worries me...I don't know who else i can share this worrying thoughts other than with you guys.

I know it is possible to have an early menopause for a Thal Major. It is scary to think that i might be going through it REALLY SOON...  :sorrow I hope not but still..the thoughts kept troubling me. What kind of changes that we have to go through and is it going to effect our live in a big way? I am still hoping to have another child and afraid that it might not happen if i am going through menopause

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: early menopause in Thal Major
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:18:37 AM »
I have talked with thal women who had menopause as early as age 18. This is usually related to damage done to the pituitary gland from iron overload. It is very common that thal women reach menopause at an early age. However, through hormone therapy they have been able to get pregnant.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:14:16 PM »
Hello Nur

As a fellow thal major and one who has gone through menopause at the age of 18,  YES YES YES you can still have children PROVIDING you seek the right medical assistance and advise. However we are all indivuals and what might work for one may not necessarly work for all.

I will try to get some info regarding this topic and post it here that is relavent to thal patients. (plz prompt me if I do take some time to do this)

Miaki

Offline Nur

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:41:29 AM »
thanks Andy and Miaki. I feel a bit better when knowing that there is something to be done about it. My ferritin level is high. Is it possible that i might return to normal if i can get my ferritin level down?

As a fellow thal major and one who has gone through menopause at the age of 18,  YES YES YES you can still have children PROVIDING you seek the right medical assistance and advise.

Miaki

what kind of medical assistant and advise do i need to know?

Offline cherieann

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »
Talk to your haematologist they might help you to get the right gynaecologist who will be able to get the appropriate blood tests done and will take it from there.

Thats what happened to me so they put me on Hormone replacement therapy.
I was hoping Miaki could find his info to post here as this is an issue that is close to my heart.
Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk