Returned to hospital...

• 7 Replies

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
Returned to hospital...
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »
Hi everyone... this is Court's Mom. Just thought I would drop you an update. Court had to be readmitted Wednesday to the hospital due to pain/weakness and trouble breathing. [/She is coming along good now, but has had a bit of a setback, since her immune system is weak. They have been working on blood building and have her on antibiotics daily for the rest of her life. Her potassium levels were extremely low... we are not sure why. They have given her B12 shots and two additional vaccines HIB and meningitis. She is still on percocet due to pain in the area where the organ was removed. I'll attempt to check back later and answer any questions you all might have. Take care till then....

Momma Geri]

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Returned to hospital...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:25:22 PM »
Oh no!  I hope Courtenay will be ok.  Please send my regards to her and let her know that we love and miss her!   :(

Please keep us updated.   :hugfriend

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:16:02 AM »
Hi Momma Geri,

Please keep us posted on Courtenay's progress. The potassium deficiency seems very rare after splenectomy and I would very much like to hear the explanation as to why it happened. I hope they are checking both her heart and kidneys for normal function. Has her hematocrit stabilized? She was concerned that her blood was low after the splenectomy.

I think anytime someone says thal minor has no symptoms, they should read about this case. In fact, I think this case has sufficient criteria involved to justify study of this particular case, including the treatments used and their effectiveness, to help in guiding future cases.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lyanne

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
Oh no, I hope she's on her way to recovery! yes please keep us updated...........
LYANNE :yahoo

Offline Courtenay1826

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:08:29 PM »
 :whistle Music to my ears... she is being released from the hospital today! I'm sure she'll be online later to bring you all up to date.  :hugfriend Thank you for your support while I was here fretting over here... It is nice to know she has great friends to discuss the trials and tribulations of Thal Minors.
Andy, the question regarding checking her heart... that was probably more on the money than I had thought ...  till she told me she was very low in her potassium. As we know, that can cause pain that feels like a heart attack! Seems everything that was found low in her blood work was treated one way or another and successful at reducing her pain and symtoms.
Thank you again all for your prayers and best wishes for her recovery. :bighug
Geri (Court's Mom)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:12:19 PM by Andy »

Kathy11

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 10:26:33 PM »
Hello Everyone .
I've been following  Courtney's case with great interest and at times get discourage on her part ,still I'm glad she finally seems to have received some of the care she required, as painstaking as it may, we all need hope and better health care, in order to survive this revolving kind of survival.

I applaud her mother for her courage and determination concerning Courtney's care and support .Thank-you for taking the time to post for us, to know her progress. :bighug

I wish Courtney all the best and a speedy recovery. :getwell :getwell :getwell

As for myself, I now have matured onset diabetes and I'm  getting difficulty tolerating the Metformin (medication) . I'm still visiting the doctor as often as I change my clothes (so to speak) and still disappointed with not getting result.
I seems to be getting a lot more chest pain ,and basicaly tired all the time.
I'm lost some where in between going to doctors,pain   and confussion.
despite of it all I still make a point of waking up everyday and read the post,because It keep me inform and its like having visitors .
Thank-you all for making this site what is it .I'm lucky to access it.

(P.s) My special  thanks to Jean and Manal for their support. :hugfriend
My  gratitude and apreciation  to you all.
Kathy

Offline Courtenay1826

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 11:10:22 PM »
Kathy,             http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a696005.html

Please check out this site regarding Metformin... I'm not sure if some of your symptoms are not due to taking this drug or not... you should go over this with your MD for certain. I will be showing Court this tonite, as it appears to have been updated with more info on its dangers/side affects.
I many times think the drugs they offer are more dangerous than the illnesses we have. They attempt to fix or lessen the illness with these drugs, only to have 2 or 3 more added to our list of problems! Ugh!

Kathy11

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:56:19 AM »
Hi courtenay 1826,

Thank-you for the info  re- metformin,Its no good for me with history of heart problem and high blood pressure,
I knew the doctor  were trying to bump me off with those pills  :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl.
I think  ???I ought to stop seeing them because they are becoming dangerous with their prescription.
 :backingout :backingout :backingout :backingout :backingout :backingout from the doctors I'll take my chances on my own with herbal solution.
kathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk