Thal minor and thal carrier couple having children

• 2 Replies

Offline dmalone

Thal minor and thal carrier couple having children
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your postings, there is lots of helpful information. One of the feelings that has pervaded some of the discussions are known thal status couples having children together.

I am beta thal minor, relatively asymptomatic (usually felt tired after playing three sports games in one day-so didn't know if to contribute it to sports or thal) and my partner is a thal carrier(male). He does not know if it's alpha or beta thal so I worry about beta thal major and possibly even sickle cell co-expression (unknown if we are carriers at this time) in our children.

As I understand we have a 1 in 4 chance of each child having thalassemia- lifetime of monthly transfusions with possible iron overloading, serious meds and surgeries with the new technologies out there.

I am seeking information for specific genetic counselling regarding thal before becoming pregnant.
Anything to look out for, any meds or supplements before, during and after pregnancy that will help with the development of the child?

The possibilities are endless

Kathy11

Re: Thal minor and thal carrier couple having children
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 11:05:12 PM »
Hi Dmalone,
Welcome to our the thal forum.
I hope in reading the postings you  get enough informations to assist you in making your decission about getting pregnant
There is also a simple process that you might need to consider, first and foremost, it would be wise to have you and your husband  DNA tested so that it would be clear as to where you want to go .Genetic  counselling will also help you in making your choice.
I feel you are both lucky at least you have the choice in choosing whether you get pregnant or not.Take care and goodluck .
Kathy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Thal minor and thal carrier couple having children
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »
Hello Dmalone :hugfriend

Welcome to the site, i am sure that you will benefit a lot. I guess that the safest solution for your case is the Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) to be sure that the child you will have is free from thal

Take care
Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk