Inherit the Thalassemia Gene

• 2 Replies
Inherit the Thalassemia Gene
« on: February 16, 2006, 08:11:27 AM »
Hi,

My hubby is a Thal Intermedia ( because he inherited Thal's gene from his mum and Hemoglobin E from his father ) so he has Beta Thalasemia Hemoglobin E. He's doing fine with his health and his Hb is around 9-10.

I don't have any Thals gene.

We have 1 son. We did some test  and we found out he has the Thals trait (minor). At that moment I thought that will be okey ........ then after reading something about the Thals Intermedia. Now I realise my baby or my future baby can get the Beta Thalasemia Hemoglobin E .. so my baby can also be Thals Intermedia ..

So my baby and my future baby can have either (clean, Beta Thals Minor, Hemoglobin E or Beta Thallasemia Hemoglobin E - thals intermedia)

Am I right? Can somebody verify?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Inherit the Thalassemia Gene
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 04:57:25 AM »
Both beta thalassemia and HbE are mutations of the hemoglobin beta (Hb) gene. Your children will receive one Hb gene from each parent, so one normal gene will come from you and the other Hb gene will be from the father. That gene will have a 50/50 chance of being either a thal gene or an HbE gene. So your children will either be carriers of the thal trait or the HbE trait. They can't carry both since one of the two genes comes from you. HbE trait is benign with no symptoms. Thal minor can range from no symptoms to moderate anemia.

Your children can't be HbE beta thals though, as one Hb gene will be normal.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Inherit the Thalassemia Gene
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:05:11 AM »
Thank you andy for the information ..

:biggrin

Thank god everything seems to be okey for me to have more childs.

I just afraid my child will inherit the Thal's Intermedia ..

Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk