Dental Work

• 10 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Dental Work
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:44:33 AM »
Hi everybody

I want to make sure that everybody knows this fact:
Any thal (adult or child) should have his body under antibiotics before any dental work (even if it is a minor thing) to avoid any complications ( could be fatal) that could result if the bacteria in the mouth entered in the blood circulation.

That's all
Take care guys
Manal

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Dental Work
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:10:09 AM »
Thanks for posting this again for us, Manal.  I had posted it last year when my friend Dana passed away.  She had Thalassemia Major, and passed away at 19 years old, from an infection that went rampant after having some teeth removed.  :(  It's a dangerous thing, so I hope everyone understands that prophylaxis with antibiotics needs to be utilized. :sadyup

Offline Manal

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »
Hello Danielle :hugfriend

Something came up to my mind. Does this include changing the teeth. I mean at the age of 6 and up kids starts to change their teeth and when a tooth falls, some blood is released. So what should be done, shall wegive antibiotics with every falling tooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ???

Manal

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:48:29 PM »
No, that's usually not necessary.  Children losing their teeth is a natural thing and the body tends to heal itself as the tooth is loosening.  It's not good to give anyone antibiotics when unnecessary, because their body can build up an immunity to it, and it won't work for more important infections that may surface later on. :)   :hugfriend

If we gave children prophylactic antibiotics for every tooth that they lose, we'd have to give it to them for every cut they get as well.  :biggrin

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 02:45:38 AM »
hi there
christian is booked in next monday for a dental appintment.  obviously i will tell them that he is sickle beta thal  and he is regularly transfused but will i need to give him anything before we go in ?  or does it depend on what he is having done?

taa vicky

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:58:09 AM »
Is it just a check up, or is he actually having dental work?

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41:06 AM »
Hi Danielle

In Christian's case, he is supposed to have high HB as he is regularly transfused, so why should he be covered with antibiotics? I though this is done when you are living with low HB and therefore if bacteria entered  blood circulation, it can cause serious problems.

Manal

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 05:26:47 AM »
Hi Manal,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  ???  I don't think a child with Thalassemia needs to be covered with antibiotics unless there is a reason to pre-medicate for a particular reason.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:35 AM »
Hi Manal,

Having low Hb can decrease the immunity of the body but low Hb doesn't necessary mean that you are always low on immune. People with normal Hb also get infected which is severe enough that the immune system alone cannot fight or will take too long; thus they need antibiotics.

Antibiotics are used when infection is present which can happen by external entities entering the body.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 12:19:40 PM »
hi guys,
christian is going in to have work done.  i guess i will tell the dentist about his condition and ask her what she thinks about antibiotics, or do i not need not to worry because his hb is ok due to regular transfusion.
taa vicky

Offline Manal

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:09:01 PM »
Hi  Danielle

When i took Ahmad to the dentist, she told be that a thal person should have antibiotics before ANY work done in the teeth due to the low immunity caused by low Hb. She added that bacteria can become very serious especially if the thal patient has heart problems.

Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk