Partial Splenectomy

• 2 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Partial Splenectomy
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:54:18 AM »
Hi

I came to an article that was discussing partial splenectomy and its benefits compared to splenectomy. It is very interesting and we didn't discuss this before. What do you think guys??

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002457.html

Partial Splenectomy Helps Some Hereditary Blood Disorders

Removing just part of the spleen, rather than the entire organ, is beneficial to children with certain inherited blood disorders because it appears to maintain the normal functions of the spleen. This is the primary finding of a study conducted by researchers from the Medical College of Wisconsin and Duke University Medical Center.

A partial splenectomy was proposed as an alternative to total splenectomy, with the goal of removing enough spleen to gain the desired effect on the disease while preserving the spleen's immune function. In the study, 25 children with hereditary anemia had a portion of their spleen removed, preserving 10% to 20% percent of the tissue. Researchers followed the children for as long as six years post-surgery and concluded that the partial splenectomy was successful in all 25 children.

Manal

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
Re: Partial Splenectomy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 03:13:38 AM »
The thinking behind this is solid if you are marginalizing all splenomegaly in thals as overload caused problems, or problems that specifically "develop" instead of being "congenital."

Many thals, including myself, have spleens that are congenitally predisposed to develop idiopathic thrombocytopenia, where the blood from transfusion may pool, and thus effect the transx's success.  After having so many pooling episodes, your spleen may begin to catch healthy cells, mostly platelets, causing a quick splenomegaly and intense pain.  It also forces your marrow to overproduce platelets (my platelets are still ranging 750-1000 2 months post op...normal range being <450)

Seeing as this partial splenectomy may make the spleen "smaller" even when splenomegaly occurs, I can't imagine the splenomegaly still wouldn't be painful (as your body would have adjusted to the smaller organ, maybe?) and it still won't stop the ITP like having no spleen would.

This procedure may work for some, but not for all, IMHO.  :-\ 

Thanks for the article, tho! It is WONDERFUL that they are at least TRYING new methods!

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
Re: Partial Splenectomy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:38:56 PM »
hi guys,
very interesting article.  thast sentence about all 25 children with partial splenectomy being successful sounds promising.  all this information is fantastic and arms me with knowledge and questions every time i see christians doctor.  basically there is never just one option there are new ways coming up that i am thankful for.

cheers vic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk