Question about children.

• 1 Replies
Question about children.
« on: May 21, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »
I have Alpha thal minor.

DH has none.

Presumably, our children should be non-thal, am I correct?

I have had what was diagnosed as chronic anaemia since my teens, which was treated with ferrous sulphate *boik* until I point blank refused to take it any more, as I didn't FEEL anaemic.

When pg with DD, they tested hb, which was about 9, and so in normal range for me. I was about to start going  :rolleyes and readying for a battle with the nurse, but then they told us about the thal.

I was given a leaflet, which told me I had a 1-in-4 chance of neither myself or the baby making it through the pg. Which was nice.  :rolleyes

DH turned out to be non-thal. I am IRISH, my hair is red, lol. We have no idea at all where the thal comes from, as neither of my parents have it AFAIK.

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
Re: Question about children.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:17:51 AM »
Hi there!

I am beta thal minor, but I have a lot of complications, especially with my second pregnancy.  I do not want to scare you (not my intention ,of course!), but I almost didn't make it through my second pregnancy due to splenomegaly and a severe anemic episode. 

In order for you to be alpha thal minor, one of your parents must have been a carrier or a minor.  Sometimes, minors/carriers do not show any symptoms, so its possible to be one and not know it.

I would definitely have an obstetrician keep a close eye on you through your pregnancy, especially your blood levels.  Good luck!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk