Serum Iron OR Serum Ferritin

• 4 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Serum Iron OR Serum Ferritin
« on: May 22, 2007, 02:18:11 AM »
Hi ,

What is the indicaton of iron deficiency, is it serum iron or SF?? My serum iron is 20 which is very low, while my serum ferritin is within normal range, so am i considered iron deficient or not??

thanks
Manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Serum Iron OR Serum Ferritin
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:25 AM »
Hi Manal,

Serum Iron shows how much Iron is in the Blood (the amount being currently used) while the Serum Ferritin shows the amount stored in the body for future use.

something like that :huh

According to your results, you should take Vitamin C to make that stored Iron come into use. If that doesn't solve the problem then I guess it's your carrier gene coming into play that is not properly maintaining the levels like in all carriers.

No worries.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
Thanks Sajid, this makes a lot of sense

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »
Diagnosing iron deficiency is a tricky matter and can take a combination of tests and patient history to determine. The most accurate method is a bone marrow aspiration. For a review of the various tests and their meaning, see

http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/pr005600.htm

The serum ferritin is a more sensitive test than the serum iron or TIBC for iron deficiency and for iron overload.2 When all these tests are used together, as is often necessary, they usually can distinguish between iron deficiency anemia and the anemia of chronic disease. The best and most reliable evaluation of total body iron stores is by bone marrow aspiration and biopsy.

Without having a bone marrow aspiration, the best way to determine if you are iron deficient may be whether or not your anemia and general energy level respond to iron supplementation.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 12:44:07 AM »

Without having a bone marrow aspiration, the best way to determine if you are iron deficient may be whether or not your anemia and general energy level respond to iron supplementation.

Thanks Andy, you are are right that this is the best way rather than bone marrow aspiration  :scared :scared :shocked :shocked

Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk