Issues with hydroxyurea

• 5 Replies
Issues with hydroxyurea
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:15:56 AM »
Hi,

My daughter (3.5yrs) is taking hydroxyurea (375mg) for last 9 months. She started with 250mg and we had very positive results. Her trasfusion frequency was reduced. We earlier used to transfuse her every 30days ( Hb ~ 9 -9.5 g/dl) and trasfusion duration was increased to 45-50 days.

My daughter recently went to india for 2 months, we continued her Hydrauxyurea doses there. When we returned back to US and went for transfusion, to our surprise her Hb was dropped to 6.5 g/dl.

I suspect that it is due to change in the environment, has anyone also experience similar kind of change in effectiveness of medicine due to changed environment.

This is first time after her diagnosis 2 yrs back that her Hb is dropped below 8 g/dl. We have received her test results. SOme of the measurement are not in normal range. Can somebody tell us what is the impact of below and what should we should do -

Hematocrit  - 19.0 %
Anion Gap - 5 mmol/L
ALT - 113 U/L
AST - 100 U/L
Glucose Level - 99 mg/dl

Thanks a lot in advance.

Om

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Issues with hydroxyurea
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:51:27 AM »
Hi Om,

It is possible that the stress of the travel, along with dehydration, may have played a part in this drop. Was it hot where you were in India? Was she transfused at all while she was there? Her electrolytes may be low, so try some Gatorade. Make sure she is well hydrated. If this was caused by the stress of travel, it should correct by her next transfusion.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:06:15 AM »
Hi Om,

I hope that it is related to travel. It could also be the low Hb. blood if she received any, in India.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:31:40 AM »
hi friends :flowers

:biggrin i just wanted to know bout this hydroxyurea as u all know tht i m new 2 this site.
 :huh i ve heard bout this over here only even mah doctors never told me about this.
so pls help me. do we get it in india if yes then where?? ???.and also explain me how it wrks.n as i can read i think it is vry beneficial
                                           nyways m waiting for the answers :wink
 :wink

Offline priya

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
Hello Mr. Om  :welcomewagon

We live in Mexico my daughter is thal intermediate. She is taking Hydroxyurea and she maintains her hb between 7 - 8 mg. But Last year in July 2007 when we visited to New-Delhi my daughter's HB also dropped from 7.5 to 5.8. And Drs. said to me it could be because of stress of travel or may be the sea level difference. So, I think same has happen to your daughter.

Hi Pleasance, :welcomewagon to the site

Hydroxyurea is type of chemotherapy, But is used in sickle-cell anemia and thalassemia to stimulate the production of fetal Hemoglobin. for more information you can refer to this post
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1207.

With lots of love.

Dimple

Offline poo gill

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »
Hi Dimple

I did not understand the Sea level difference you mentiuoned.

When Prat was a baby he used to cry whole of 5 hours and woulkd not stop when he was on the flight, I always wondered why?

Luv

Puja
"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk