Getting a diagnosis...

• 47 Replies

Kathy11

Re: Getting a diagnosis...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 11:51:36 PM »
Hello Dahlia.
Welcome to the forum ,
I would suggest your best bet is to work with your general
practioner, Request a full blood tests .then research and print informations and keep a diary of all you sign and symtomps that would assist the gp to dertermine a diagnosis and management of you current health issues.
I n  my case I found that the heamatalogist was  not helpfull.
some of them still is reading the old medical book. ??? ??? ???
good luck and keep us inform we are interesting in knowing and we can be of great moral support to you.
Kathy

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »
Hey Kathy,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm actually working with the hemo right now (I go back on Friday) so we'll see.

I've found the whole process confusing and frustrating.  Mostly I'd just like to feel like myself again, and find a way to avoid these prolonged periods of sickness/exhaustion.

dahlia

Kathy11

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 11:35:57 PM »
good luck Dahlia.

Dont give up .keep asking for answers, knowledge is power, once you get to know what is happening  with you,  then you can deal with it appropriately.
It's    possible to have peace of mind .to accept what we cannot change and live a reasonably good life.

I would also get assistance  on how to have a good dietary  intake.
I found that changing my diet, improved my health too.
Take care
Kathy

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 06:20:02 PM »
Hey...

I got the results of my bloodwork...but my doctor is out with an emergency until next week.

does anyone know how to decipher the electrophoresis results?

thanks,
dahlia

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
Hi Dahlia,

I can probably give you some idea what the results mean. Either post them or send them as a PM.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »
TP 8.1
Albumin 48.7
Alpha 1- 2.9
Alpha 2- 11.2
Beta Globulin 14.2
Gamma Globulin 23.1
A:G ratio (electrophoresis) ).9 (L)

Albumin 3.9
Alpha 1 globulin .2
Aplha 2 globulin .9
beta globulin 1.2
gamma globulin 1. 9 (H)

SPE comment Normal pattern

Immunoglobulin g 1740 (H)
Immunoglobulin a 392
Immunoglobulin m 106

Interpretation M-spike absent

Thanks, Andy for taking a look.  I searched the net, but I really couldn't make any sense of this.
-dahlia

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:19:24 PM by dahlia »

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »
dahlia,

I don't see any results similar to what one would normally see for hemoglobin electrophoresis. This looks like a protein electrophoresis test, with which I am not familiar. The results of a hemoglobin electrophoresis would look like this. These are typical normal results.

* Hgb A1: 95-98%
    * Hgb A2: 2-3%
    * Hgb F: 0.8-2.0%
    * Hgb S: 0%
    * Hgb C: 0%.
Andy

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »
Yes, it did say Protein electrophoresis.  I thought maybe these values had to be converted or something, lol.

So, I guess either they didn't include it in my print-out OR they did the wrong test????????

Thanks for your help.  At least I know I am not crazy.

-dahlia

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 08:25:17 PM »
It's possible the doctor is looking for some other factors to explain things.
Andy

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »
he did run a lot of tests (checking my immune system, and looking for weird viruses) but my gp had said thalassemia minor and this hemotologist said he was going to do electrophoresis to definitely rule that out or confirm it....so I'm a bit confused.  It doesn't help that he isn't around.  I probably shouldn't have looked at the results, because they're just making me nervous trying to figure them out.

Again, thanks for your help.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
Well, I finally heard back from the office...sort of.

When I picked up the bloodwork he had ordered, those results weren't back yet for some reason.

So his assistant left me a message and said they were in now and that the doctor would be in tomorrow and call me.

So...I may be back with more questions tomorrow. 

Thanks again for the help.

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »
Ugh.

Here's an update.  My testing continues. 

I have to get a copy of the electrophoresis so I can compare to things posted online, but the doctor said it indicated I ALMOST have the trait....one of the hemoglobins is low....and the one that should be high is at the highest end of normal, but he is hesitant to call it thal since it fell in the "high normal" range.

Kathy11

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:38 AM »
Hello Dahlia.

My point of view are.  the doctors has Medical Manuel and they get their knowledge from it  :mad :mad,

Thal sufferers know their bodies and how is not functioning the way it suppose too.
They live with pain and confussion everyday of their lives .

My reality is that the doctors doesn't know and they are too busy with their books, therefore they cant be bother to explore the validity of our complaints.
I know this is a negative posting still the fact of my experience remain as such.
Dahlia go to another doctor may be he might be human one whom is prepare to listen,
Good luck/
Kathy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »
Dahlia,

It sounds like the HbA2 is at the high end of normal. Not all thal minors have HbA2 above normal so it could still be beta thal minor. A hematologist may be able to sort it out.
Andy

Offline jade

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:32 AM »
Hi Dahlia

I know only too well what you are talking about.  The problem with the trait is that the doctors are not sure or they simply discard it as unimportant.  But you do not feel well and they say there is nothing wrong.  Do you mind posting your results for the HBA2, MCV and MCH, I would like to know the values to compare.  I have also been having a downfall in energy lately.  I have increased my intake of Bcomplex vitamins and I EAT as soon as I feel the need for it.  I do not wait for my usual time ie breakfast, lunch etc. I am looking for wheatgrass in my island but so far it is unfruitful.  May be you can try wheatgrass also.   What happened to your platelets count, is it within range now?

Take care.
Jade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk