cousin mariage related news for S.asian friends bcoze it happen mostly in S.asia

• 10 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
HI andy & cherriean :
i dont know wat its realy mean but i think that i have to participate in this post :
on few ago when i was watching T.V i heard something that was :
they were talking abt inherited diseases .. and saying that .. in case of close cousin marriage there is a big risk of getting an inherited diseas like haemophilia and thalasaemia etc.... bbcoze in normaly in mariage  the child gets  strong genes to their parents .. but in case of close cousin mariage child gets weak genes to their parent ... when those weak genes takes  the charge of the of body of child  ... it result's in the way like thalassemia and haemophilia and other inherited diseas..... i  m mentioning it bcoze there is not only thalassemia or haemophilia to invetigate .... there are many more complications in cousin mariages ...  few years ago i read in a newspaper abt the children of one family who hasn't the sense of touch  ( mean to say sense of feel the pain ) bcoze their pain receptor was disabled .... their parents was close cousins .... .. their parent were telling that once their so  droped to the motorcycle  he stand back and they came to home .. but when he saw their son  next day his arm was swellen .. they went to dr .. dr took his x-ray and yes dr found  fracture in their child's  arm  ......

i think i delivered wat i want to deliver  .............. Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Umair,

Yes, you are right. the "weak" genes in thalassemia are the mutated or deleted genes and it is more likely that relatives will carry these genes. This is especially true in 'closed" cultures such as island cultures where most people do have at least some distant relation to each other. I myself, am the "victim" of this. My English grandparents were cousins (and back in those days this was not uncommon) and they both carried a bad gene that leads to thyroid disorders. I have a severely under active thyroid. My mother, three of my brothers, my sister, my daughter, my niece and myself are all confirmed cases of thyroid disorder. This is all because relatives who had the same faulty gene, married and had children, and passed both of these genes on to my mother. My mother most likely had two bad genes and when combined with my father's gene (he was diagnosed with thyroid disorder later in life) it resulted in a family where thyroid disorders are prevalent.

The lesson, and especially with blood disorders which can be fatal, is that it is extremely important to know your family history and to pass this on to your own children, so they too are aware that they may also carry a bad gene and can take precautions to prevent their children from having the major disorders and also educating their children so they know enough to also take precautions. Yet, we still see, as with our new member, Cindy, that a doctor doesn't want to run a test that could verify or rule out if she is a thalassemia carrier. There are 2 million thal carriers just in the US, yet thalassemia is almost unknown here. Uncooperative doctors will not help matters one bit. There is a rapidly increasing rate of thal major in the US and the only way this can be stopped is by testing, education and awareness, and perhaps it is the medical establishment that needs the most educating.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline cherieann

Hi Umair & Andy

In the case of my birth parents they were second cousins and did not know they were carriers.
The knowledge came out 16 years later when I met them and their respective families.
Our bloods were taken to find out how much of the gene each parent had.
There is not much information around and the best I can do is keep informing others of what I have especially with my birth families. When I came back neither extended familiy wanted to admit they had a thal gene. Luckily for me both my birth parents were supportive and have continued to help my haematologist with any bloods she wants for further testing.
Slowly over the years I am being informed with other family members who have Thal trait and require transfusions when pregnant but they have yet to accept the diagnosis.
Each one of us are different and behave differently.
Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
Soo ... i think i started a usefull topic .. when i was planing to send this i wasn't sure that it is good to send or not ...  i canceled to send it .. but then i sent .... i think it lead's to good....

There are 2 million thal carriers just in the US, yet thalassemia is almost unknown here

Andy i read somowhere in book newsletter type of book that in pakistan 5-8% people
are carrier of different kind of Anemia like Iron defiancy , blood disorder ,trait, and i think also food ( nutration) deficiancy in some area etc etc....

well in sajid's post i read that thalassemia came from greece to pakistan when it was the only trade route ......     i read somewhere on I.net that it came with ganghis khan's ( changez khan ) .. some of their soldier was the carrier of blood disorder ... some of them wounded in fight with local south asian lords .. when ganghis khan went back he left those soldier here in this region ..i think thats y its spreaded all over in S.asia so quickly ...

one or both of these story could b true but the point i want to raise actuly is that in both storys invaders or traders decide's to live here in this region for rest of their life .... and got married here and then expand their familys here .... by marry togather in their expanded familys .......

Thalassaemia is quietly but rapidly spreading in Pakistan. It is estimated that 5 to 8% of the population is suffering from Thalassaemia Minor (Thalassaemia carrier) who are leading a normal life and are not aware of their hidden malady, and are playing an important role in the spread of the disease to the next generation. This results in adding about 5 to 8 thousand fresh cases of Thalassaemia Major every year to the existing over 100,000 patients in the country. The population of the carriers also increases proportionally. This vicious cycle must be broken before the disease assumes unmanageable proportions.

thanks for reading it
Umair
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:55:52 AM by nice friend »
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline cherieann

Soo ... i think i started a usefull topic .. when i was planing to send this i wasn't sure that it is good to send or not ...  i canceled to send it .. but then i sent .... i think it lead's to good....

I'm glad you sent it as it is a good topic.
Back in the early 70's when I was first diagnosed, my adopted parents were told it originated from Greece then in the late 80's we were told the Mediterean countries have it too. Now as the years progress we see in popping up in China, America, Australia and New Zealand.
Its in Australia as there is a large Greek population and in my case it could be an European ancestor who was in Greece before coming to New Zealand. I have many ideas but no proof.
The interesting fact however is that although it is spreading, the knowledge of Thalassaemia is not as wide spread. Australia is the only other country I have been to and it still amazes me that the airport security officer knew what I was talking about but my own country doctors don't

Offline Andy Battaglia

Yes, it is believed that thalassemia originated in the Mediterranean region and was spread by explorers and traders. A confirmation of this has been found in the Maldives where shipwrecked sailors passed thalassemia onto the local population. There is one island in the Maldives that has long forbidden marriage with anyone outside that island and there is a zero incidence of thal on that island, proving that thal is not native to the Maldives.
Andy

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
People in Pakistan/India think that they can get best treatment in US and UK, but after reading Andy's post that Doctor are ignorant there I must tell that we are far better than them ;d why? because here in hospitals its getting necessary to get the test done..

When my sister was pregnant for the second time doctor had a doubt, and when in normal RBC test they get to know that she is thal minor they did another test for the baby :) and thank GOD that my nephew is normal

My parents were first cousins, it is true that first cousin marriages create issues, but not only thalassemia, sometimes kids are born mentally abnormal and many other issues developed, but there is my cousin who's son is also thalassemia major, but his parents are not first cousins, not even relatives, so I think not only first cousins, everyone who is getting married must go for this test to save the next generation

what say?
-Ayesha

Offline cherieann

:agree totally that all people need to be tested especially now as Thalassaemia is spreading.
You don't have to marry cousins to pass on the gene

Offline Andy Battaglia

Absolutely correct! The sudden spurt in the birth of thal majors in the US is primarily due to second generation Asians marrying in the US who are not aware they are carriers and usually know almost nothing about thalassemia and do not know that they are in a risk group. Education. Awareness. Testing. It's up to everyone.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
Hi :

it is true that first cousin marriages create issues, but not only thalassemia, sometimes kids are born mentally abnormal and many other issues developed, but there is my cousin who's son is also thalassemia major, but his parents are not first cousins, not even relatives, so I think not only first cousins, everyone who is getting married must go for this test to save the next generation
 What say ?.

yes you are right ayesh .. everyone who is geting married has to through these test t... for the better and healthy next generation... i :agree ....
well in the case of first cousin it has more chances to get victimsed by a weak genes as i mentioned above in my first post related to this tpic that...

few years ago i read in a newspaper abt the children of one family who hasn't the sense of touch  ( mean to say sense of feel the pain ) bcoze their pain receptor was disabled .... their parents was close cousins .... .. their parent were telling that once their so  droped to the motorcycle  he stand back and they came to home .. but when he saw their son  next day his arm was swellen .. they went to dr .. dr took his x-ray and yes dr found  fracture in their child's  arm  ......

in this case both ( mother & father) of those childern was ( u may say minor or little bit infected to the genes wo were the cause of this kind of disabling thesense of touch & feel ).....

thats why childrens bcame as an evidence of their weak genes ......

in this case ..i wan to say that it is not only on the chance of thalasemia.. cousin marriage could infect the new baby in many other ways tooo.

===========
Umair

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
Genet Test. 2008 Jul 31; : 18666858 (P,S,E,B,D)
The Prevalence of Consanguineous Marriages in an Underserved Area in Lebanon and Its Association with Congenital Anomalies.

Ziad M Kanaan, Rami Mahfouz, Hala Tamim
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.

Background: Consanguinity is a recognized common practice among marriages in the Middle East. Many studies have suggested a strong association between first cousin marriages and the incidence of autosomal recessive diseases and congenital anomalies. The objectives of this study were to study the prevalence of consanguinity among the marriages of Bekaa (a region in Lebanon) with its sociodemographic correlates, and to assess the prevalence of congenital anomalies associated with these marriages. Methods: This study was a cross-sectional study done in three of the major areas of the Bekaa region. The sample size consisted of 552 households chosen based on proportionate random sampling according to population size in each area. The survey was conducted based on face-to-face interview with a member of the couples of each household. Results: The overall prevalence of consanguineous marriages was reported to be 42% with first cousin marriage constituting around 31% of the total marriages. No association was found between different socioeconomic status (SES) correlates and first cousin marriages. Results showed a significant association between first cousin marriage and mental retardation, physical retardation, bilateral cleft lip +/- cleft palate, cystic fibrosis, and congenital blindness. Conclusion: In a population with a high degree of inbreeding, the formulation of a public health program with multiapproach strategy, including education about the anticipated genetic consequences, prenatal diagnosis, neonatal screening, and genetic counseling, is a necessity[/b].

i quoted it to this link :
http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:18666858
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:08:16 AM by nice friend »

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk