2 weeks from due date

  • 2 Replies
2 weeks from due date
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
I am currently sitting 2 weeks away from my due date with my 3rd child. I am a beta thal minor who has been receiving transfusions every 2-3 weeks since complications with my breathing and heart in the 1st third of my pregnancy. My last delivery was uncomplicated.

Here's my issue: I am rather worried this time about going into labor in the middle of the night (as I did with y previous 2) and having an 'on call' dr who does not know my case alongside nurses who don't know me. I have to go to labor and delivery every week for nonstress tests and I have had a few nurses there who make comments like, 'You can't have too much of a problem with your blood. You must have been transfused probably once this pregnancy.' It just seems like many of them make assumptions about my health b/c I don't 'look sick.' Also of note, I changed ob's after being hospitalized early in my pregnancy because of the blood problems. Her staff basically told me I was overreacting and there was nothing wrong with me but if I wanted to call my regular dr I could go see him. Her office also NEVER tested my blood, had me on any folic acid, or acknowledged in any way that I may end up with some side effects during pregnancy. 5 minutes after getting into see my regular physician he had me rushed to the emergency room. That previous ob is one of the 'on call' drs I could end up with.

So I guess my question is does it seem reasonable to ask for an induction when the situation can be controled and I feel comfortable with the attending staff or am I way out of line? I have never been an advocate of induction but I am now seeing the reasons it is sometimes used. Thank you in advance; sorry so ong. ~Teri


Offline Andy Battaglia

  • *****
  • 8793
  • Gender: Male
  • Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: 2 weeks from due date
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »
Hi Teri,

Have you talked to your regular doctor about the possibility that he would not be available during your delivery? What is his willingness to come even if it's during his off hours? Even with induced labor, it doesn't necessarily happen all that fast. I would actually be more concerned about pressure from other doctors and nurses to deliver by C-section. I think your regular doctor holds the key. If he is willing to come whenever you go into labor, it would relieve your concerns. Since you've had no problems with delivery in your other pregnancy, you should be given the opportunity to do so again. What is the situation for delivery? Is there a birthing room? When there is, they often understand the needs of the mom better and tend to be more considerate.

All we are saying is give thals a chance.


Offline Zaini

  • *****
  • 3448
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: 2 weeks from due date
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:58:40 AM »
Hi Teri,

I just wanted to share my experience,in my second pregnancy,i was over due six days and my ob decided that induction would solve the problem,but after hours and hours of artificial and unbearable pain,there was no result and i was rushed in  OT as my baby's heart beat started being irregular with all the stress .Same happened with my sister,its not necessary that would be your case,but i just wanted to share my story,i would rather you wait for nature to begin its process and ask your doctor to be there for you.

Good luck  :hugfriend .



SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk