(Sallman's dream ) Thalassemia free Pakistan

• 22 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
(Sallman's dream ) Thalassemia free Pakistan
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
Salman's dream , for wat he was strugling hard, has moved in NWFP Assembly ... congrats Salman u made it ....
KARACHI: Govt to present thalassaemia bill in PA

for complete article : http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\10\02\story_2-10-2009_pg7_41
Friday, October 02, 2009
NWFP Preventive Health Bill 2009 presented in PA

* Nikah registrar empowered to obtain test reports of spouses regarding thalassemia and hepatitis-C before the solemnisation of marriage

PESHAWAR: A government member presented The NWFP Preventive Health Bill, 2009 in the provincial assembly on Thursday to make premarital tests mandatory to spread health awareness and educate future parents that may give birth to children with contagious and fatal diseases.

According to the Bill introduced by Awami National Party’s (ANP) Saqibullah Khan Chamkani, a nikah registrar shall obtain test reports of spouses regarding thalassemia and hepatitis-C before the solemnisation of the marriage.

The nikah registrar shall also keep these reports for at least three years and if a marriage is solemnised in contravention of these provisions, the license of nikah registrar shall be cancelled and whosoever, other than nikah registrar, solemnises such marriage shall be fined Rs 10,000.

The Bill says the result of thalassemia and hepatitis-C test reports, whatever it may be, shall have no effect on the marriage being solemnised.

a lil ago:

KARACHI: Govt to present thalassaemia bill in PA

KARACHI, May 9: The Sindh Health Department, in close coordination with provincial law department, is currently in the process of preparing a ‘Thalassaemia Eradication Bill’, which will soon be presented before the Sindh Assembly.

The Sindh Health Minister, Shabbir Ahmed Qaimkhani, talking to the APP on Tuesday after a seminar organised by Kashif Iqbal Thalassaemia Care Centre to observe World Thalassaemia Day, said the provincial health department would do its optimum to get the bill adopted by the house.

Consensus among public representatives would be essential regarding the disease, which has its socio-economic repercussions on the masses, he said.

The minister said the bill would be aimed at ensuring necessary support to those already inflicted by the genetic blood disorder and to arrest the growing number of new thalassaemia cases in the country.

The minister said that in consonance with efforts towards the bill’s adoption, the Sindh Health Department would also make necessary budgetary allocation for the establishment of a thalassaemia care centre and special blood transfusion units at all major government facilities across the province.

These efforts would be adopted on gradual basis, however, the first facility
for more dtails : http://www.dawn.com/2006/05/10/local24.htm
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: (Sallman's dream ) Thalassemia free Pakistan
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
A good news indeed,it need to be implemented through out Pakistan.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Keep Smiling

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
i read about it being implemented in punjab very soon.................

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
@ Zaini Sis,
yeah , its a big News for Pakistan's Thal community ... indeed a big relief for the nation and a big comfort for the parents of thals ....

@ Keep Smiling
Waiting for that day when it will happen ...

---------
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Keep Smiling

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:16 AM »
Insha Allah, the day will come very soon.............

Abbas

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
Keep Smiling,
Insha ALLAH !!

Umair

===========
Umair

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »
SALMAN HAD A VERY BROAD VISION ........

May ALLAH bless him JANNAT UL FIRDOS (THE highest level in paradise) ....... he had a very broad vision that is clearly reflected through his professionalism and his steps he took ... The bill is there in NWFP thats true .but how many ppl in pakistan or families in pakistan would really practically adhere to it ???? .... let alone take ppl of lahore as an example ...... any family would consider it derogatory to have their daeughter / sister to b checked for thalsmia ...cuz of the menace of the society v live in ..........so wuts the solution ? Its the education and awareness ....its the eradication of all social evils and psuedo honour thoughts that will only make this possible ........... so all of us if only motivate ppl around our own social circles, and tell them how important it is, only then it will b possible ....
one suggestion would b that ... suppose ur from a thalassemic family ... u shud motivate a prospect groom to have thal test .... and if found postive , only then shud the girl's test b done .... cuz if boy is free from thal trait then theres no point to test the girl .... this wud b gr8ly helpful cuz thu this the family of the  bride will evade the test and dont face such stupid social comments that exist in our society //
Waleed

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
The problem Waleed talks about is very real throughout Asia, and even today some remnants of this exist in the Mediterranean area. How do we get people to get tested without them worrying about being labeled with what has been called "the stigma"? I have heard this same thing from people in India. Some even object to our efforts to spread awareness because testing as a thal minor can limit one's marriage prospects.

Of course, we are not about to stop trying to spread awareness and educate the public, because rationally, this makes sense and avoiding it only leads to couples unexpectedly having thal major children. Testing will eliminate this. In places like Hong Kong and Cyprus, there has been tremendous success in eliminating the births of thal majors by testing before marriage. The evidence is there that testing works, but this success in smaller more controlled environments like these islands meets many challenges elsewhere. Even in the Maldives, where testing should have been able to greatly reduce the birth rate of majors, the results have been weak. There are cultural and even religious issues to deal with and I think in many societies, if it is to work, the clergy needs to be brought on board to the concept of testing for thal, and then work within the rules of their religions to help implement this policy. I do not believe we will make enough headway in creating awareness and acceptance of the idea, unless it can be done in accordance with the religions of the areas. The church helped with this in Cyprus, so it can be done. It has to be done because there has been a huge change in the world in the past 20 years in terms of availability of medical care, and babies that formerly would just die with no treatment are being transfused and surviving. The cost of treatment is more than most affected countries can absorb, so if we are going to do our moral duty and provide for those who need medical help, we are going to have to see a large decrease in the amount of thal majors being born every year worldwide. There is not enough money to treat all the thals in the world today, and there won't be tomorrow. In a new world that feels more obliged to fulfill its obligation to all people, thalassemia will create a monstrous financial burden. This will take an effort that coordinates government and religious leaders along with the leaders in the world of thalassemia. This is the effort in which TIF needs to be a leader and it should include all the local associations throughout the world. We are all doing our parts by spreading the word as much as we can here and elsewhere, and what Waleed suggests is a very effective "guerrilla" method that individuals and small groups can do that bring real returns and we all have to continue to work hard to help educate others and make people aware of the importance of testing. Even on the local level, people can talk to their clergy to find how the concept of testing can fit in with the tenets of various religions. All religions try to do what's best for the physical health along with spiritual health, so this should fit in everywhere once logic is applied.

Let's all continue our efforts.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:49:05 AM »
Waleed has described our society correctly,i am a thal minor myself,which i never knew until my daughter was diagnosed,and a few years after my daughter was diagnosed,my sister was getting married and it was a tremendous effort to make my mother understand that its vital that she get tested,if she is in clear there is nothing to worry about,and if she has minor we can always test her partner after marriage,we don't have to tell "anyone anything",thats how i was able to convince "my mom" who has a grand daughter with thal major,to let my sister get tested,and Alhumdulillah my sister does not carry the trait so in the end it wasn't a problem.

I am happy that Waleed brought this up on time,as one of my cousins is about to be engaged,and i'll try and talk her mother,my aunt,into it,and hopefully i'll be able to convince her,as thal trait runs in my maternal side of family and she is the sister of my mother,so she could have carried thal trait her whole life and may be never knew about that.

Wish me luck coz i know what my mom would say "you'll just terrify them,and we can't let the girl's in laws know about that "  :rolleyes but i am gonna talk to my aunt anyway.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Lena

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 05:55:54 AM »
It surely isn't enough to act on a personal basis, the outcome will be too poor. Andy is right about needing an organised effort, a programme from religions or states everywhere in order to mobilise individuals. The contribution of TIF in this would be greatly appreciated. That is what I have always been thinking of TIF, this is the role they should play. Their reason of existence, in my opinion, is to help less developed countries on thal itself and on prevention of thal.Let's hope they act on that. It's too important.

Zaini,

wish you every luck in the world - you really are precious!

Lena.

Offline Zaini

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 06:56:24 AM »
Thank you Lena  :hugfriend
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
Andy is right about needing an organised effort, a programme from religions or states everywhere in order to mobilise individuals.

Though we lately have this program and before marriage you are supposed to admit a report saying that there is no risk of genetic diseases. But because there is no awarness by the people themselves, they find there way of forgering this report by any means saying that they are clear without going through these tests. So it is important to educate people of how important these tests are in the first place

manal

Offline Lena

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
So it is important to educate people of how important these tests are in the first place

That's true, educating people should be top priority for all governments. And this shouldn't be too difficult with tv spots and everything in that direction.But how many countries are there, even as we speak, that promote it? Few, I'm afraid.

Lena.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
Lena,

I have long been a proponent of tv spots to help spread awareness and I was even interviewed twice for television in the Maldives, where I took full advantage of the opportunity to educate the public. I have long had an idea for public service spots that would show a thal patient's normal life, education, career, marriage, kids, community activities, etc. and then announce that the person also has thalassemia, in order to show exactly how normal thals and their lives can be in today's world. I think this would surely remove some of the stigma that many people see attached to thalassemia. I don't think this would be costly to produce and would only require some free public service air time on television in order to get the message across that thals have normal lives and are normal people. This is an important step in acceptance in cultures where the stigma leaves thals feeling like outcasts who are unwanted. People will not get tested in this environment until the stigma has been neutralized, and changing the way people view thals has to be part of this. It will be much easier to convince people to be tested if they don't have these preconceived notions about thalassemia that result in thal being something people hide. A campaign like this would serve thals in many ways from removing the stigma to encouraging people to give blood to allowing their child to marry a thalassemic. Acceptance of testing will be much easier when this whole stigma concept is vanquished.

I have a script and full ideas for the visuals for such a public service spot. This is something that again, I feel TIF is in position to accomplish if we can only get them interested. It would be simple enough to produce the ad and put it on a dvd to be distributed wherever needed. This is a relatively low cost idea and I think TIF has to start using the media to advance its goals. Can this be done?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lena

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
It will be much easier to convince people to be tested if they don't have these preconceived notions about thalassemia that result in thal being something people hide.

I totally agree with that, Andy.

Really, has TIF any idea about this site? Have you talked to anyone about it ever?

Lena.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk