Confused about iron overload, info please

• 3 Replies

Offline LindaMarie

Confused about iron overload, info please
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:27:32 PM »
Hello Lovelies!!!!

Well, I do not know if I am thal minor or not or what the heck is up with me, just that my daughter is a minor and I have been told there is something wrong with the iron in my blood. My uncle recently had bloodwork and his iron was too high and he donated blood and felt better.

I had the feeling that I should donate blood. Just so you know, I have no money and no access to medical care, so I guess and I do whatever I can that is free!

I did a bit of research and discovered that according to the CDC, there are over one million Americans of European descent that have a gene mutation that causes iron overload which leads to hemochromatosis. An internet description on the womenshealth site stated that this is serious and chronic and that the build up of iron can damage organs like the heart and liver. The testing is supposed to be a fasting blood test of both the transferrin saturation and the serum ferritin. Many of the symptoms listed are things that I deal with and disease states that have killed family members.

So, is this related to thalassemia or is it another mutation entirely?

I did go and donate blood. All I can tell you is my observations. I immediately felt less pain in my neck and shoulders. I have this baggy area underneath my eyes that I feel looks dreadful and it seems to have lessened a bit. I also feel that it is a little easier to breath.

As you are all the experts in this area, I thought I would ask you about all of this and your personal experience with symptoms as they relate to elevated iron levels.

I love you all!!!!

Linda
Linda Marie

Re: Confused about iron overload, info please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »
Thanks Linda!

I want more information too...I am thal minor and until now I never even knew that I should get blood tests for excess iron. I just knew that I shouldn't take iron supplements.

Jennifer

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
Hi,

Indeed some Thal. Minors do get Iron overload so it's possible that the study Linda quoted is talking about Thalassemia (minor).

If your Iron studies (a comprehensive test that includes S.Feritin etc) shows high Iron and acceptable Hemoglobin then donating blood or Phlebotomy would certainly decrease your Iron overload.

However if your Hb. is low then they won't take your blood anyway. You will have to go for other methods to decrease or prevent further Iron overload like IP6, tea with meals or even chelation if it is getting too high.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline thalfriend

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:14:11 AM »
I am also thal minor and unsure of exactly what additional tests to ask my doctor for besides serum ferritin, iron and TIBC, transferrin.  Is there anything more?  Also, Linda I believe, do you have the name of the study or article you read at CDC you could reply with?  [Andy suggested on another topic to ask doctor for iron studies as well...]  I have also read on a link [this forum] about asking your doctor to check hemoglobin more than once per year as it can be affected as much as point by environmental factors, etc.  Thanks to all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk