New. Looking for thal minor with bypass

• 4 Replies

Offline ceasecapo

New. Looking for thal minor with bypass
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:16:23 PM »
I have thal minor but I am also a gastric bypass patient. I use to always have a lower hemo but its stay at 9.3 since the surgery. I was looking for anyone else who has had bypass and has thal what there life is like. I got mine from my mother family which are minorcans (spanish/italian mix) orginial settlers of st. augustine florida.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: New. Looking for thal minor with bypass
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
Hi,

Welcome on the forum :welcomewagon Thal minors do usually have low hb and anemia is one of the down sides of gastric bypass too,as i have read,i don't personally know any member who have had gastric bypass surgery,but may be there is someone and they might come forward after reading your post :) .With low hb do you have any other symptoms? like fatigue or something?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline ceasecapo

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »
Thanks for the response. My hemo is around 9.3 and I am always tired but I have gotten use to it and work through it. I don't really have a lot of other problems or anything I have thought came from the anemia, meaning if there are other symptoms I just haven't associated it with thal. I have broke a toe and the bone never mended. But being a bypass person I have to take multi vitamins, b12 and biotin that is all dissolvable so that i get the nutrients. I am interest in whether i should take the b complex also. I did have to do iron iv's a few years ago because i was so deficient. Thank you so much for the help.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:58:52 AM »
Hi,

One thing about thal minor and iron intake !! if your hb is low its not necessary that you are iron deficient,most of the doctors assume that upon seeing low hb,but thats not true,it is necessary to a panel of tests called iron studies to determine whether you have iron deficiency,because if not,this extra iron will only harm your organs by overloading them,so were you tested for iron deficiency before you were given IV iron??

For fatigue and bone problems,have you ever checked your Vitamin D levels? Low Vitamin D can be the reason of quite a few things,do you go out in sun a lot? If not you need to get your D levels checked.

Hope this helps :yes .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline ceasecapo

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:17:38 PM »
sorry with holidays hadn't had chance to get back on. yes they check my levels. i had in hemo dr in jax and he kept a tight line on what i was doing. i will have to check the vit d though. thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk