Rejection

• 38 Replies

Offline Eponine

Rejection
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:18:43 PM »
Hi
I've been quite upset with this issue for a long time. I was accepted to a overseas uni to study early this year. I had, to apply for a study visa and required a medical check up. Of course I had to declare my thalassemia, having the need for blood transfusion and all. The local doctor (recognised by the embassy of the country, not MY doctor) told me my chances of getting my visa approved is very slim. I was crushed, but still had hope. A long 3-4 months of wait and many correspondences with the country's immigaration department later, they asked my thal doctor to 'appeal' as they would reject my visa based on the information I have given them about my medical condition. My doctor did not really do a very good job of 'appealing'. Of course, by then I had already missed my intake to the uni. I was given a entry to the 2nd intake which was mid year. Another 3-4 months of wait, I received the decision. They had refused my visa because, in thier own words "require health care which would result in a significant cost in the country's community in the areas of health care and prejudiced the access of the country's citizen to health care".
I am very upset because I feel that I have been discriminated against. Is it fair to deny me of an education just because I was not given a choice to be born with this condition? I am lost. I do not know what to do right now. Should I proceed with another appeal, this time to higher people? or should I just give up and forget about this. I do not want to give up this fight because I believe this fight is for thals all over the world. But, I'm afraid that I'm not emotionally strong enough to accept the final decision or consequences.
What now?  :'(

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Rejection
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 04:49:30 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you try again and tell them that they should not be concerned about your health. Tell them that you can manage your treatment like everyone else is doing in that country.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Poirot

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:42:21 AM »
I am very upset because I feel that I have been discriminated against. Is it fair to deny me of an education just because I was not given a choice to be born with this condition? I am lost. I do not know what to do right now. Should I proceed with another appeal, this time to higher people? or should I just give up and forget about this. I do not want to give up this fight because I believe this fight is for thals all over the world. But, I'm afraid that I'm not emotionally strong enough to accept the final decision or consequences.
What now?  :'(

Hi Eponine,

My heart bleeds for you .... it must be so traumatic to qualify on merit, and then be told that you can not go because you have a condition that you were born with.

Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions to this one. So, you will have to consider your choices carefully.

USA is the only country in the world, that I know of, that does not ask for a medical test, when it issues you a student visa or work permit. So, for thals looking for higher education in another country, USA is really the ideal choice. However, medical costs in US are very high. So, you have to figure out in advance as to who will pay for your transfusions and medicine. Most student insurance companies will probably refuse to cover you in the first couple of years. So, you will need to find an alternative source of coverage or pay for it yourself.

Other countries, especially those with universal government health insurance cover, will refuse you a visa on the grounds that you will use their resources, while not contributing in taxes. (some refuse a visa even if you were going to contribute in taxes, as it once happened with me). It is a sorry state of affairs, but governments feel obligated to look after their own first. So, if you are still keen on going to this country, you could ask the immigration authorities if they would give you a visa, if you legally undertook to pay for all your medical costs when you are a student. When you start work, you will be covered.

I see that you live in Singapore. Does your government pay your medicals costs? If yes, would they still pay the equivalent if you went to another country and required medical care there?

I hope this is useful in helping you decide.

Poirot
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:39:55 AM by Poirot »

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:27:48 AM »
Lol you can ask Poirot, how many countries have rejected me and how many times.

It really hurts and I share you pain.

First and foremost find out if a reciprocal arrangement is in place between Singapore and the US. If there is none then find out how you will pay $800 per transfusion, this is price of New York, last time I enquired.
So the question would be can you afford that and your tuition fees and living expenses.

Secondly, please dont tell the visa officer that you have a medical problem it doesnt go too well with them. Yes it is hiding information and is considered unlawfull. But then they are not playing fair either by not giving the chance.

But then it totally depends how badly you wann go.

Dont apply for the US Visa imemdiately the situation will not change, have you tried any other country?

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 07:04:54 AM »
Hi Eponine,

I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected.  This really upsets me.  I would advise you to keep fighting, because this is definitely considered health discrimination, which is illegal.  You can even contact an attorney about it, and ask them for advice.  Usually they will not charge you for a consultation.

Please keep fighting for your rights as a human being.  No matter what condition/illness anyone has, everyone is entitled to a college education and anything else that healthy human beings can have.  This is completely ridiculous and angers me to the bone.

I hope you eventually get to become a student at the college you prefer.  These people should be ashamed of themselves for rejecting someone who has a genetic illness, which she cannot do anything about.  They are looking at the illness, and not the intelligent, beautiful person that merely wants a continued education that she is entitled to.  It sickens me.   :(

:hug

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 04:20:27 AM »
There is an appeal only in case you where applying to visit your relative. Anything else and it will just be "try again".

An attorney cannot help you in this, sorry to disapppoint you.

Daniele when you apply from another country you dont have any rights nor can you ask representation.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:07:49 AM »
Hi
I was not aware that you needed a medical check up to study in countries other than the USA.

In the USA, no medical check up is needed for getting a student visa. But the usual students insurance given to students does not cover any pre-existing condition for one year. But subsequently, if the student insurance plan is from a good insurance agent, then one can get   lucky.
Without insurance and that means, without a job, one cannot get treated in the USA, because it is extremly expensive and private insurance will not cover such huge costs for the treatment of thalassaemia. the co-payments would be way too high.

My daughter is in the USA since the fall of 2000. . She went as a student and now she has a  good job.

She is totally covered by her company's insurance policy. But if, she didnt feel like working someday, then it would be hard for her to fund her treatmant. :smile2

She also did have a lot of trouble looking for funding for her treatmant as a student. But she was indeed very very lucky to have found the Sickle Cell Center in Greensboro, North Carolina, USA, who were willing to take up her case and pay for the TOTAL cost of the treatment, including Desferal, which came to her at her doorstep every week, all one and ready to use. She also went to school at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro. This was a special prog. of the center for people under the low income group, with blood disorders and specific to the state ( NC) only. Without their help, it would not have been possible for her to study in the USA.
Every night she searched the net for hours together to find a way out and that paid i guess.
And the sickle center of Greensboro took her in without any hassel at all. All it took her was one email to the Director of the center ( Dr. Mariette Douglas). It was unblieveable! She was like the fairy godmother out to grant all of my daughter's wishes.

And i shall be eternally grateful to her. Words cannot describe how much the center helped my daughter all through her school years.

And luckily she had got admission in Greensboro. Infact, she did get admission elsewhere in the USA, but since she was not getting insurance coverage from them, she could not take it up.

They supported her for two years, while she was doing her MS.
Now she has a job, which pays for everything.

So when I hear about the bad stuff in the USA, I can only be nothing else but GRATEFUL to that country for doing so much good for my daughter and providing her with opportunities that i could never have given her.

As I believe too much bad always lead to far far too much of good. Whatever said and done, and how much we have improved situations in India, the kind of life USA has provided her, cannot ever be denied or argued upon. It is the total acceptance by the society at large there. She did not have to hide to her colleagues or her bosses that she had thalassaemia, and she needed time in the hospitals etc. They also allowed her to work from home, when she was on the painful treatment of Interferon for a year.. They always told her that her Health was the most important factor. But that did not stop her promotions or anything. Recently she has changed her job for a better offer.

So maybe you can also try, one of these charitable institutions and try and find out a way.
And if one tries hard, there will be  a way out!

Nobody has the right to reject anyone in whatever matter( not only denying that person of an education)  on grounds of health, especially if you are born with a condition, for which you are not responsible. It is the huge cost  of the treatment which is the main culprit. I am sure if you were a diabetic or something similar, there would not have been a problem.

So it all ultimately it all boils down to that ONE FACTOR.. the COST? And what are we doing about it? Nobody seem to really care?
We just vent our anger and our frustrations here within  ourselves but we are really helpless, unless the Govt wakes up to the fact.
 Wonder how many active members of the various Thal  Associations, who can make the difference, read this site regularly?

If there is more that you would like to know, please mail me..

Hope this helps
Shikha
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:24:24 AM by Andy »

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 01:59:56 AM »
Daniele when you apply from another country you dont have any rights nor can you ask representation.

I don't understand that.  It's still discrimination.   :huh

Offline SalD

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 03:13:39 AM »

Hello,

I have a sneaking suspicion that WITHIN a country that would count as discrimination, but that between countries it might count as "looking after the interests of the population".

There is a "Health and Human Rights" section of the World Health Organisation that is contactable by email: http://www.who.int/hhr/en/

I don't know whether they will be able to help or not.  I also found a website for a project being conducted in Australia called the "Genetic Discrimination Project" http://www.gdproject.org/whatisit/index.php

This project aims to study any occurrance of genetic discrimination, so it is possible they might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows about the legal aspect of your situation.

Good luck Eponine!

SalD.

Offline Eponine

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 07:43:28 AM »
Hi Guys

Thank you so much for all your posts and your support. I still find it very unfair, all these discrimination. I feel like a criminal, being treated like this, and yet, even a criminal deserves a second chance. We do not have that second chance. Once you have this genetic disorder you are condemned for the rest of your life?
I'm sorry for being so pessimistic here. Am going through a lot.
I want to let you guys know that I'm really glad for such a forum. Don't know what I'll do without all your support. Though I've not been here in a really long time, I know that this forum willl not run away.
Been very busy with work and the thal society stuff and trying to have a life.  :faint
Will write again soon. Too much to say too little time.  :biggrin

Kathy11

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 03:15:37 AM »
Hello everyone.
I am typing these few words here in the hope that some people on this website realize that discrimination , favouritism and biases is everywhere in the world and in  all of us
Take for example this web site, some people are easily recognize  and some no matter what, they are invincible.
I  feel hurt that I've been sick for weeks and no one, other than Jean whom e-mailed, bother to check on how I was doing and yet I thought I belong to a caring group,and was part of this website family.
I read this site everyday and I see people asking about others and even classified some as ace in the deck of cards that is as if the other people like me are meaningless. At I that time I felt so sad.
Remember Kindness and charity need to start among us.We are all valuable human beings, regardless or our origin , status and creed.Recognition is what all human being wants .I bet that if everyone in the world felt recognised there would not be any wars.
I dont mean to upset any one but only putting my point of view forward and vulnerability where my feelings is concern.
 Regards to all of you and thank-you to Jean.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 03:52:38 AM »
Dearst Kathy

All what you feel is really untrue. if you think a little bit without senstivity, you will find out that there is no reason for ''discrimination''. How can we discriminate and we are all the same here.  No body here want anything from the other except sharing and supporting. This was the only thing that made us togather and nothing else so why do you think like this. For example, i was away for more than a month and no body asked about me, but i didn't take it that way. Simply because usually, when someone is ill, she/he posts and updates us about his conditions or if someone is travelling he/she usually says so . Other than this we may consider the missing person to be busy or something.

Kathy you have the right to be sad from whatever you like. And our role is to apologize to you , but please NEVER ever think of dicrmination because this is totally untrue , not only for me,but for all of us. You are very dear to me and to us all and please don't be upset. It is a coincidence that we may be absent minded, busy,, not concentrating,or.......anything else but never favoring a friend more than the other.
Many times one gets very busy and just log very quickly and becomes swaped by life responsibility.So again, what you are angry from is truly not meant. You have all the right to be upset, but please don't think in this way
Again, i apologize for you and hope you are doing better now. Wish all the best and tell us what has happened to you. :flowers :flowers
Take good care   :heartpink :heartpink

Manal   :hug :hug

Kathy11

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 08:25:41 AM »
Thank -you Manal for your replyI feel you are missing my point any how not to worry.
What I posted was my reality and it is the way I visualize the situation.(the word untrue is your reality )and by the way I didn't meant to attack anyone in particularly.I was only speaking my mind out loud. I just wanted to be noticed like all the rest.
I t is ok ,I have voiced my opinion and I would not bother any body anymore.It's always good to say goodbye to all .right or wrong it has been a good experience getting to know you all in someway or another.We can't fix our ways if we don't acknowlegde our parts in any situations
I don't need apology I need people to care,and to be kind.
 Regardless I'm not going to post anything anymore.
THANK-you all for your  support that I received in the past, Take good care and good luck to you all
Kathy ,

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 11:56:27 AM »
Dear Kathy

i really don't want things to end this way. Sometimes a person may visualize a certain situation( like the one we are in now) in a certain way and after talking to his friends things become more clear and this '' reality '' changes . I am sorry i really can't express what i mean in english, but my point is that things my mix up and talking to each other may fix things out. That is why friends talk, blame each other, understand each other......etc.Life is not one way,but communication and understanding each other's views makes things much better. As i told being not recognized doesn't mean what you said  even if it is reality to you. The purpose of talking is to understand others reality and to come up with the truth. There is always many realities for the same situation.

Please give yourself a chance to think and calm down and i am sure we won't say good bye to each other because you are so important person to me and to all of us. So please give it another thought and we will be waiting for you 

Take care

Manal

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »
Dear Kathy,

You have been such a big part of this group,and such an inspiration to me and Lauryn! Please reconsider "leaving" and stand by us in the fight against Thal!!! :hug

:bighug :flowers :heartpink :console :happyyes :heartred

Love,
Christine

Lauryn's Mom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk