Need help regarding alpha thalassemia

• 20 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Need help regarding alpha thalassemia
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 12:53:23 AM »
The HbA1C test is virtually useless in thals, as variant hemoglobins will make this appear higher than it really is. Doctors should not put any value on the test.
Your HbA2 will always be low because you have a deficiency of alpha globin. It doesn't make any difference anyway.

You are following a good diet. Your cholesterol and LDL are both excellent. I can find no explanation for the low HDL levels, but there is some possibility that hemolysis, which is constantly ongoing in thal minors, is causing interference in the test. Episodes of hemolysis can also take place when exposed to certain foods and chemicals. I don't recall if I showed you this list, but in general, avoid chemical fumes, even things like artificial scents found in many household products. Check the list at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3410.msg34830.html#msg34830

A sudden bout of tiredness may be due to hemolysis and the Hb would be temporarily lower. If this occurs, you should review if you were exposed to chemical fumes or may have eaten some broad beans.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
During my recent  blood tests Vitamin B12 level is measured as 697 pmo/L against required range of 150- 650. What does it means ?

Also, I am taking some of vegetable including spinach on reg basis, as suggested by you.  I am taking spinach, broccoli, green pepper, cauliflower, mushroom, cucumber . Could you tell me which vegetable are to be taken as raw and which ones need to be boiled and taken

Right now, , Except cucumber, I boil everything for about 5-7 minutes before eating.

Regards

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »
You're around the top end of normal for B-12. However, much higher levels are observed in people and it causes no problems. I think it's a sign of a good diet. As far as the veggies, in general raw has high nutritional value, but if steamed or sauteed, they still retain most of their value, so it's more of a matter of how you like your vegetables prepared. However, boiling will cause the greatest loss of nutrients. A pressure cooker is ideal and a steamer is also quite good. If you do boil, it's suggested that you keep the water to use for stock for soups and sauces.
Andy

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 05:18:06 AM »
Hi Andy,

My HDL and LDL about four months ago was as below. As you know I am having alpha thalassemia trait

HDL = .70 against reqd value > .90
LDL = 2.38 against reqd value 1.50- 3.39

For the last four months, I am maintaining strict diet, regular exercise, lost ard 15 lbs, eating fruits and vegetables, steamed vegetables, berrys,  but HDL and LDL readings has not changed much. The recent results are as below

HDL = .71
LDL = 2.56

What could be the reason behind it and what else could I do to raise the good cholesterol ( HDL)

Thanks

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »
I don't think the low reading has anything to do with your diet. It is far more likely that this is related to the ongoing hemolysis and the effects of bilirubin, which is released by the break down of red blood cells, on the test itself. I would not be concerned at all about this. Your diet is good and there is no reason to suspect your cholesterol levels are problematic. I just don't think you're going to get a totally accurate measurement because of the hemolysis that takes place constantly in thal.,
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:41 AM »
I have found a real possibility that would explain why your HDL remains low in spite of your efforts. There is a genetic polymorphism found in South Asians that leads to this. I have attached a study to this post as a pdf file. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor, show this report and ask about being tested for the polymorphism. It is unlikely that your doctor is familiar with this report, as it is dated 2012 and is very recent. It would explain the low HDL and your doctor may be able to better advise you on a diet that would be best if you carry the  polymorphism. If this is the case, it has no relation to thalassemia.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk